Modelling was another skill I wanted to pay careful attention to this year. I've had the book Learning About the World Through Modelling for years but have never used it to its full potential. This year I made the effort to not only do modelling related to main lesson content, but to also work through all the "pure form" exercises in the book with my daughter. The best time to do this, I found, was during math blocks when we didn't have a lot of other artistic work to do.
In addition to pure forms, we did a lot of exercises related to animals in their habitats.
A bear in its cave.
A bird in its nest.
For handwork this year we focused on embroidery, particularly counted cross stitch. First we embroidered our initials using the chainstitch and a feather stitch border onto muslin to make handwork bags:
Next we made felt needlebooks to show off all the embroidery stitches we learned:
Sariah's cover
Inside of Sariah's needlebook
Inside of my needlebook
Our last embroidery project was pincushions. We each designed our own. The only rule I had for Sariah was the design had to incorporate symmetry.
Detail of the rainbow border on Sariah's pincushion.
My pincushion and needlebook.
The other project Sariah did was a needlefelted wall hanging. If I were to do it again, I would skip the needlefelting--which isn't a typical project for this age--and do an additional cross stitch project.
Below are several of the forms Sariah did this year:
Comments