The weird mom (sigh....)

Sometimes I get tired of being the weird mom. You know, the one who does things that make no sense to anyone else, even though they make perfect sense to me.

Like...


  • thinking that my kids should watch as little television as possible (even if I can't always live up to that!)
  • refusing to buy violent video games for my 7-year-old (yes, anything involving shooting of any kind is violent!)
  • thinking that there is no reason 3- and 4-year olds should be pushed toward reading
  • not wanting to collect every Disney movie ever made
  • thinking that it's perfectly OK that my older children still need parental help to fall asleep
  • refusing to buy toy guns or other types of weapons for my 7-year-old
  • not sending my 3-year-old to preschool
  • refusing to let my 18-month-old cry-it-out in the church nursery
  • wanting to homeschool
  • refusing to buy any product with Disney, PBS, NickJr or other media characters on it (OK, I've given in to toothbrushes and toothpaste....)
  • thinking that PG-13 movies really are not appropriate for 7-year-olds
  • actually enjoying painting and doing arts/crafts with your child

Now, the point of this post is really not so much to criticize other people's choices. I could actually write down a lot more things here, and I'm sure I would match up with some people on some of those things, but not match up on others. That's the way life is.

No, really, the point of this was more to lament the fact that sometimes it's so dang hard to live your life outside of the mainstream, to try to reject the popular culture and "traditional" way of doing things. It's hard to fight an uphill battle with every choice you want to make. (Some more than others.)

Are you weird too?

Comments

Nemmer said…
You always seem to post the thoughts in my head, Lisa! If nobody else does, I totally get you. :) I'm often the weird mom, too. I might not be as careful as you are (my hubby and kids love camouflage, and we do allow one toy Nerf dart gun, but it is used as a practice gun, since I believe gun safety includes proper training on the use and power of guns), but I do truly understand every one of those points you mentioned.
Lisa said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said…
Hey Lisa, I'm am so with you on these points. We are the only people I know that don't even own the Wii and I know that is a good decent video game. But I want my kids outdoors as much as possible, riding bikes, playing, digging, making up fun games. The weather here in AZ right now is so amazing and sometimes I'm out with my kids and I just wonder where in the world every other child in our neighborhood could be. Mike tells me they must be playing video games. But oh joy, I did see some ten to twelve year old boys playing outside today. And lo and behond, they were shooting pretty real looking machine guns at each other. What the heck??? My kids have only seen a few of the classic Disney movies as I think they are all too scary for kids. I think you are a phenominal (sp?) mom and I love reading your blog even though I don't comment much. I think what it boils down to..really, is that you are putting so much more time into your kids than so many others. Not to say that others aren't caring and loving and concerned. But really, it's easier to just let them watch the bad stuff or play the bad stuff than fight with them about it or come up with other activities. Kuddos to you for all you do Lisa...you are my hero. :) Rhonda
Lisa said…
Aw, thanks, Rhonda. It is a challenge here in Utah that right now it's extremely cold and there's snow on the ground. But even indoors there is plenty to do. Video games are so addicting, and the kids think anything else isn't fun. We have a Wii, but we only buy the sports-type games so at least they're physically active.
One Fish said…
Yikes. I hope it wasn't the new batman- that movie is REALLY dark.
Lisa said…
I think it was the new one. I asked him if it was cartoon or not, and he first said it was, then said it wasn't, etc. When he said it wasn't, he said he only watched part of it. When he first told me, he was adamant that he'd seen a PG-13 movie, so I think it was.
One Fish said…
Wow I would be LIVID. That movie isn't appropriate for kids on any planet. I was sorry after I saw it.
Linnea said…
You're not weird. We don't own ANY video games like that and I'mot sure my teenagers are going to see many PG-13 movies. We don't always agree about everything but I'm with you on almost all these points. I definintely don't think kids need preschool and even feel cheated that I had to send my to youngest to school so young. Sometimes I think that when people defend the preschool need they are just justifying it to themselves!
the Villamor's said…
i don't think you are weird either!

when i was 11 i went to a slumber party(of a church member) and the dad showed us Carrie-that Stephen King movie!

I know what you mean about wishing other families had the same ideals!
Carrie said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said…
Sorry I'm deleting a lot of comments. I've edited the original post too. I just am trying to erase any references to specific incidents. (Trying to protect the innocent!)