Last winter sucked. There is no other way to put it. It almost made me not like Pennsylvania anymore. The cold I can take. Some snow I can take. Ice I cannot take. Overcast clouds for weeks on end with no hint of sunshine? I cannot take that either.
This winter has been very mild in comparison. We had no snow or really cold temperatures until after New Year's. We've had some snow this past month, but not too much. It's been quite cold, but manageable. And over the past week, the snow has melted, and we even had on 60 degree day.
This year we observed Epiphany or Three Kings' Day for the first time. I did not put the Wise Men on our nature table until Christmas Day, and we moved them a bit closer to the stable each day until January 6th.
The kids were hit and miss with this, but I think as we do it each year, they'll catch on and come to enjoy it as they have all the other traditions I've introduced.
For Preston's kindergarten story that week, I told the legend of Baboushka from Russia. Here Baboushka and the Three Kings visit the Baby Jesus.
We made a Parisian style Kings' Cake (which is really a pastry with almond filling) and hid three beans inside for the Three Kings.
Preston enjoyed many days inside during January playing with his Keva planks. One day when he got tired of building marble runs, he made the tallest tower possible.
When it did snow, Preston and Sariah couldn't resist enjoying a little homeschool PE.
Unfortunately, on one of those days, Preston had a little crash on his sled and ended up with a concussion. So no more sledding for him for quite awhile.
Winter does bring amazing sunrises to brighten the morning and lighten the feeling of darkness.
Winter (and Spring, and Summer, and Autumn) also brings visitors. I couldn't get them all in the picture, but on this particular morning I counted ELEVEN deer in our backyard.
I didn't get a picture of the winter nature table until the last week, but here it is.
A snowman was the perfect easy and quick handwork project for Mom.
The bear snugged in his cave hear Jack Frost.
And King Winter came to reign.
We were thrilled for a few warm days as February arrived.
Comments