Catching up with the Days of Creation

In December Sariah and I did a short block about the Days of Creation from the Old Testament.  We painted scenes from each day and then I had her write portions of the accompanying verse in cursive, since we are practicing it right now.  The writing portions was more difficult than I envisioned, but she was a trooper.

I have been trying to get decent pictures of these paintings ever since, but with it being winter in Pennsylvania, the lighting is never just right.  These are the best I have been able to do, and the photos are still dark, even with editing.  This was really fun, and I have seen tremendous improvement in her painting skills this year.  Usually we paint on large paper with fairly large brushes, but for a change, I cut the paper small and gave her little brushes to use.

First day:  the Light is divided from the darkness.

Second day:  the waters are separated into ocean and firmament.

Third day:  dry land and plants appear.

Fourth day:  the sun, moon, and stars are created.

Fifth day:  birds and fish are created.  In this painting, we experimented with negative space and with doing the entire painting in one color--blue.

Sixth day:  the rest of the animals are created.

Seventh day:  the Sabbath--God rests.

Adam and Eve partaking of the fruit.  I love this painting!

I took painting ideas from three sources:  Christopherus 3rd grade Old Testament manual, the book Painting and Drawing in Waldorf Schools, and the East African Teacher Training Manual for third grade.

Comments

One Fish said…
Good job Sariah! Those look great.