They say boys have a different writing style than girls? Well, here you go!
Background: Four years ago when I was presenting Aesop's Fables to Dallin, I carefully chose stories that highlighted certain aspects of his temperament that I wanted him to be aware of. One of the stories that I chose was The Wind and the Sun... I was secretly hoping that he would get the message that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, if you know what I mean.
Well, in all my years of homeschooling I don't think I have ever seen him have a stronger reaction to a story than he did to that fable. He was MAD. Mad, mad, mad that the sun won its bet with the wind. He tried to rewrite the outcome when we did the summary. He insisted that the wind must have tricked the sun, because OF COURSE everyone knows that the wind is stronger.
So fast forward four years. Sariah has now been experiencing Aesop's Fables, and that is one of the stories I chose to tell her. Apparently Dallin's distaste for the story in its original form has not disappeared, not has it lessened in the least.
The other day we started the mineralogy portion of our earth sciences lesson block. I asked Dallin to choose his favorite rock and write a creative story about how that rock came to be here. He chose a big black rock with holes all over it that he found in the yard awhile back.
Here is his story of how it arrived in our yard:
THE END
Background: Four years ago when I was presenting Aesop's Fables to Dallin, I carefully chose stories that highlighted certain aspects of his temperament that I wanted him to be aware of. One of the stories that I chose was The Wind and the Sun... I was secretly hoping that he would get the message that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, if you know what I mean.
Well, in all my years of homeschooling I don't think I have ever seen him have a stronger reaction to a story than he did to that fable. He was MAD. Mad, mad, mad that the sun won its bet with the wind. He tried to rewrite the outcome when we did the summary. He insisted that the wind must have tricked the sun, because OF COURSE everyone knows that the wind is stronger.
So fast forward four years. Sariah has now been experiencing Aesop's Fables, and that is one of the stories I chose to tell her. Apparently Dallin's distaste for the story in its original form has not disappeared, not has it lessened in the least.
The other day we started the mineralogy portion of our earth sciences lesson block. I asked Dallin to choose his favorite rock and write a creative story about how that rock came to be here. He chose a big black rock with holes all over it that he found in the yard awhile back.
Here is his story of how it arrived in our yard:
The
Big Black Beehive
ABZ16 was inhabited by aliens where the main practice
there was the worship of the Wind. They
were at heavy war with the rival Planet Sun!
The wind, obviously more important than the sun, had been made a mock of
by the sun by being challenged to such a low-witted challenge that he barely
gave it a thought. That fiend of a sun had said “Whoever can get that traveler
to take OFF his cloak is the most powerful!” The wind agreed knowing he could
wipe the sun off his feet and leave him bawling on the floor for his Mommy. So the wind went down and with barely a breath
blew at the traveler, but he wrapped his coat more tightly. Then the sun came out and he, being extra
gassy that day, was so hot that the traveler took his coat off. So that was that. The sun chose something so low
that the wind refused to even try. So today he and the sun were to meet in the
middle of the galaxy to settle things. That day the wind, bringing together all
his power, produced tidal waves, hurricanes, great masses of dark clouds, lightning
and thunder. Trees were uprooted, mountains left to dust,
tornados a whole planet big came hurling at the sun all at once. The sun
overwhelmed by the winds powers, could do nothing with all his powers. All he
could do was make plants grow and cause heat. So in one last despair, the sun fled
so fast that its fragments all fell toward different planets. These rocks had
spots of gold on them and because they were traveling so fast, they had little meteors
dinging them on their way to earth, so it looked like a big black beehive with
spots of gold on it.
Comments
I get your blog posts in a feed and for some reason this post only had the story not your introductory comments, so I just read the story and my first thought was, "looks like Dallin has become the 2nd grade main lesson teacher :-)"
I really enjoyed this post and I'm blown away (ha ha!) by the impact a little story can have.
Cathy