The rest of the Ancient World

We finished Dallin's lesson block on ancient civilizations by spending a week on Persia and a week on Mesopotamia.  He was enthralled with the idea that we were talking about Iran and Iraq.


My chalk map of Persia.  I'm sure I got this off of pinterest or some place like that... I've looked at so very many blogs and websites that I can't remember what came from what.   So I apologize, and if it turns out I've plagiarized, I will take this picture down.


Dallin's map of Persia and his dictated summary decorated with Persian forms.  He did a nice drawing of a Zoroastrian fire altar which his little brother lovingly painted all over with paint that a certain nameless older sibling left out.  That is why this page is all wrinkled--the painted pictures was on the other side.

 

We used the Live Ed curriculum idea of doing a watercolor map of the Fertile Crescent.


We learned about Hammurabi's Code and Dallin drew a Ziggurat as part of our study of the Mesopotamian's contributions to the world.



Dallin LOVED learning to write in cuneiform letters on clay with a dowel that we chiseled.  Each of these lines spells his name.




As recommended by the Christopherus curriculum, we read the book Gilgamesh the Hero by Geraldine McCaughrean.  This was a wonderful retelling of the oldest written-down story in the world.  The curriculum suggested that for a writing activity, we take a portion of the story and turn it into a play.  I think our play should be labelled "with apologies to Geraldine McCaughrean"!  (Click on the photo and see if you can read the last few lines of the play, then you'll know why...)

Comments

Linnea said…
Awesome! Love reading about what you're teaching the kids. And I love all your art. Sariah seems quite accomplished at it!