Luckily Dallin was feeling much better the next day, because our excursion to downtown Seattle ended being his favorite part of the entire trip. We visited the famous Pike Place Market, which will go down as being the most crowded place I have ever been in my life.
Dallin loved seeing the fish, but what's really funny is looking at Sariah's face, which is almost hidden in the background. She was miserable!
What I loved best about the market were the stalls and stalls full of fresh flowers. Imagine paying only $5 for a bouquet FULL of beautiful flowers. There were also stalls stalls of the most amazing looking berries, cherries, and other fresh fruits. I wished that we had a way of storing all of these amazing things. We didn't get any flowers or fruit because of having no way to keep them fresh while we were travelling. My children talked me into buying some herbs. I couldn't believe that was what they wanted out of the entire market. I also got yelled at by a woman over her friend's hand-dyed silk scarves. The scarves were beautiful, but I off-handedly told Sariah that we didn't need to pay $35 for a scarf I could make myself. The woman next to that vendor literally went OFF on me, lecturing me about how those were "hand-painted" silk and very difficult to make. I thought, this woman doesn't know who she's talking to! I have dyed my own silk scarves many times, and I have a friend who has painted them and could show me how to do it. Would they be as fabulous as the artist's in question? Probably not. But hey, I'd be making them for a 7-year-old.
Dallin was determined to eat fish-n-chips. He's never been a fish lover, but he clearly wanted the whole Seattle experience. So we ate at Ivar's Fish Barn on the pier. Sariah was horrified--she ordered chicken. Dallin loved his fish!
Apparently it's tradition to feed your fries to the seagulls along the wharf. The hustle and bustle of a city harbor is really fun!
Then we all got to hike back the billion or so blocks to our cars, where we'd paid around $50 to park for three hours. Most. expensive. parking. EVER.
Comments