We're all better. This horrible, never-ending illness finally gave up and moved on to other families in our neighborhood. (Good for us, bad for them, I guess?)
Sariah got her cast off this week. After the first rotten miserable week where she was in pain and itching all the time, the other three weeks were cake. Really. She is such a trooper, and I'm so proud of her. She has been playing "hospital" alot. She named her doll Connie after the nurse that cared for her in the ER. There have been days when you can't find a couch, chair, or bed to sit on because they are all filled with dolls and stuffed animals who are "sick" or "hurt". Our first aid kit has been decimated because of the great need for bandaids for all these invalids who are convalescing in our house. Sariah has decided she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. She has declared that also when she grows up she is going to change her name to Connie.
Dallin says he wants to change his name to Basil. Don't ask me where that came from. He wanted to know why we didn't name him Basil when he was born. Um, because I think it's an awful name? (I didn't tell him that.)
Dallin has made my jaw drop this week... several times. First, he tells me that he is so glad he is homeschooled because we have more fun than they do at public school. I tell him that I'm happy he's enjoying things, but I know he misses his friends too. And he tells me that he actually doesn't miss his friends because he gets to play with them in the afternoons. Later that day he says he might want to keep being homeschooled and not go back to school in junior high like he's been begging to do. Score! I never thought I would hear all those wonderful words come out of that particular mouth!
Dallin has also been amazingly helpful. This morning he did dishes with me (by hand, since our dishwasher is broken), swept the kitchen floor, and asked me what else he could do to help. He helps and plays with Preston all the time, as does Sariah. My kids, though they still fight, seem to be getting along better, playing games with each other more. I hope I don't jinx it all by posting about it. Maybe after 2.5 years homeschooling is starting to have some positive effects on them?
Preston is insanely adorable. He just is. There is nothing cuter than a 2-year-old. There just isn't. His favorite phase to say is "I SHOOT the ball. I SHOOT the ball. I SHOOT the ball." Over and over and over. All day long. He says it when he wants me to tape our little basketball hoop to the wall. He says it when he wants to put the ball in the basket. He says it after he makes a basket. He says it when he sees the ball across the room. Today when I was changing his diaper, he grabbed his shoes, held them in his hands like he was going to chuck them, and said, "I SHOOT the shoes!" His first joke!
Every time we go out to get in the car, Dallin gets sidetracked by all the snow in the yard. He literally can't walk to the car without rolling around in some snow on the way. And it's not that far from the front door to the car. So I'm constantly yelling, "Dallin, get out of the snow and get in the car!" Well, the other day we got home from somewhere, and as soon as Dallin got out of the car he was on the ground making snow angels. Preston looked over and said, "Oh oh! Out the noey!" I think it is just so stinkin' adorable that his word for snow is "noey".
Sariah started first grade, and it is going GREAT! Sariah is great, Waldorf is great, everything is great. She is LOVING it! I think this is the most awesome, perfect curriculum. I wish every child could have as fun a first grade as Waldorf provides. She is a bit distractible, and I do have to sometimes pry her away from her playing to come for lessons, but once we start she is right there with me. It is so fun to see a child so eager to learn. I'm so glad she gets to experience Waldorf from the beginning, something that Dallin didn't have. I know she will have her own challenges, as every child does. But for now I'm just enjoying her enjoyment of school.
Dallin just finished his Norse Myths block, and I have to say that it has been the most successful and by far the favorite block we've done in the last 2.5 years. Every boy should study Norse Mythology! That's all I'm going to say about that.
The camera is broken, so pictures and posts about the lesson blocks we've been doing will just have to wait.
Sariah got her cast off this week. After the first rotten miserable week where she was in pain and itching all the time, the other three weeks were cake. Really. She is such a trooper, and I'm so proud of her. She has been playing "hospital" alot. She named her doll Connie after the nurse that cared for her in the ER. There have been days when you can't find a couch, chair, or bed to sit on because they are all filled with dolls and stuffed animals who are "sick" or "hurt". Our first aid kit has been decimated because of the great need for bandaids for all these invalids who are convalescing in our house. Sariah has decided she wants to be a nurse when she grows up. She has declared that also when she grows up she is going to change her name to Connie.
Dallin says he wants to change his name to Basil. Don't ask me where that came from. He wanted to know why we didn't name him Basil when he was born. Um, because I think it's an awful name? (I didn't tell him that.)
Dallin has made my jaw drop this week... several times. First, he tells me that he is so glad he is homeschooled because we have more fun than they do at public school. I tell him that I'm happy he's enjoying things, but I know he misses his friends too. And he tells me that he actually doesn't miss his friends because he gets to play with them in the afternoons. Later that day he says he might want to keep being homeschooled and not go back to school in junior high like he's been begging to do. Score! I never thought I would hear all those wonderful words come out of that particular mouth!
Dallin has also been amazingly helpful. This morning he did dishes with me (by hand, since our dishwasher is broken), swept the kitchen floor, and asked me what else he could do to help. He helps and plays with Preston all the time, as does Sariah. My kids, though they still fight, seem to be getting along better, playing games with each other more. I hope I don't jinx it all by posting about it. Maybe after 2.5 years homeschooling is starting to have some positive effects on them?
Preston is insanely adorable. He just is. There is nothing cuter than a 2-year-old. There just isn't. His favorite phase to say is "I SHOOT the ball. I SHOOT the ball. I SHOOT the ball." Over and over and over. All day long. He says it when he wants me to tape our little basketball hoop to the wall. He says it when he wants to put the ball in the basket. He says it after he makes a basket. He says it when he sees the ball across the room. Today when I was changing his diaper, he grabbed his shoes, held them in his hands like he was going to chuck them, and said, "I SHOOT the shoes!" His first joke!
Every time we go out to get in the car, Dallin gets sidetracked by all the snow in the yard. He literally can't walk to the car without rolling around in some snow on the way. And it's not that far from the front door to the car. So I'm constantly yelling, "Dallin, get out of the snow and get in the car!" Well, the other day we got home from somewhere, and as soon as Dallin got out of the car he was on the ground making snow angels. Preston looked over and said, "Oh oh! Out the noey!" I think it is just so stinkin' adorable that his word for snow is "noey".
Sariah started first grade, and it is going GREAT! Sariah is great, Waldorf is great, everything is great. She is LOVING it! I think this is the most awesome, perfect curriculum. I wish every child could have as fun a first grade as Waldorf provides. She is a bit distractible, and I do have to sometimes pry her away from her playing to come for lessons, but once we start she is right there with me. It is so fun to see a child so eager to learn. I'm so glad she gets to experience Waldorf from the beginning, something that Dallin didn't have. I know she will have her own challenges, as every child does. But for now I'm just enjoying her enjoyment of school.
Dallin just finished his Norse Myths block, and I have to say that it has been the most successful and by far the favorite block we've done in the last 2.5 years. Every boy should study Norse Mythology! That's all I'm going to say about that.
The camera is broken, so pictures and posts about the lesson blocks we've been doing will just have to wait.
Comments