Busy and Tired

I apologize for the dearth of blog posts this summer.  I thought I would have oodles of time to write insightful and informative posts on lots of interesting topics.  Instead, the couple of posts I've attempted to write, I've deleted before they got very far, either because I knew I would never have time to finish them or because they seemed whiny and not-so-positive.

The truth is, for me, summer is no vacation and hasn't been for years.  Summer is when I try to get done everything that didn't get done during the school year, and on top of that do all the summer things like swim lessons, family vacations, outings, homeschool planning for next year, and three birthdays.  The two children's birthdays in July involve hours of time getting packages, photo books, and letters ready for their birth parents.

I thought homeschool planning would be a breeze this time around since I bought a pre-packaged curriculum, but I've discovered it still takes hours of planning to really make it my own.  I am excited about what is in store for this next year, if I can only have the needed energy to make it fun and "alive".  I'm so tired right now!  The good news is I'm almost done with yearly plans for both Dallin and Sariah, and then--fingers crossed--I might actually have a couple of weeks to just breathe, rest, and regroup before we start our next school year.  I say "fingers crossed" because it seems like every time I think I know how things will play out, something comes up to put a wrench in my plans.  So I'm not sure I honestly believe there will be any sort of break at all.

I have been up to my ears in church stuff as well.  I'm the Primary president in our ward (for any readers who aren't LDS, that means that I lead the children's organization for our congregation).  I love this calling so very much and have had such a great year working with some fabulous ladies--now dear friends--to do this.  It has been HUGE blessing in my life to have this responsibility, even thought most weeks I've wondered how I could possibly get everything done.   This month has been a bit stressful however, as I've been responsible for weekly lessons for the children for six weeks in a row as well as our congregation's float in a local children's parade.   I'm definitely feeling the burden off all the time, energy, responsibility, and worry right now.  This too will pass!  After this month I won't have to do Sunday lessons until November, which will be a nice long break.

Sariah was officially diagnosed with ADHD a couple of months ago, so there is now a lot of worry and time involved in trying to understand it all and figure out how we want to pursue dealing with it--and her. 

I feel exhausted a lot of the time, and have had many nights of lying awake panicking over how I can get everything done in time for school to start, make it through the school year without going bonkers, make sure everybody's needs are met and that everybody who wants a piece of me gets it, keep church things running smoothly, and all the many other things that need to be done, thought about, and dealt with.   I dropped all my organ students (except for one who really needs me at least until the end of the year) and am trying to figure out what else I can streamline, but everything seems to be so... necessary. 

I did have one wonderful, heavenly tender mercy earlier this week when I woke up on a particularly discouraging day when I was near tears most of the morning only to go out to the mailbox and find a sweet card from my Relief Society president (the leader of our congregation's women's organization), who just felt impressed that I needed a note this week.  She didn't know why she felt impressed to send me a card until I called to thank her for her thoughtfulness.  We had a great, long chat about life and she was able to help me with some specific issues.  It was a huge testimony that God was aware of me and how I've been feeling lately, which, honestly, is borderline depressed.

Sorry to sound whiny, but I'm also all about keeping it real.  I love homeschooling, but it is hard sometimes... it can be very demanding.  Also, we all go through cycles of loving life and being on top to feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.  Hopefully once July goes on it's way, I'll feel better.  July is always a fun, but especially busy and crazy month for our family.

Comments

Linnea said…
It's amazing how many things you accomplish! You're doing great!!

I think you should call us more often for help--like Saturday when Eva, Ethan, and I could have taken Preston for the parade. We thought of it but didn't know where to find you--OK we could have looked more...

Anyway--please call because we love the kids and they can come over anytime!!!
Lisa said…
I don't think about calling. :)

Preston was OK, he enjoyed riding on the float for most of the parade. I thought James was going to sit and watch, I didn't know he was going to walk with us. The parade went beautifully, it was just a bit stressful because my entire presidency was out of town and it was just me.
Anonymous said…
Hi Lisa! I'm sorry I missed catching up with you at the park on Friday. This summer has been the least relaxing one for me in years, and I'm no where near as busy as the primary president! I'm glad you had someone listen to the promptings of the Spirit and reach out. It really makes life feel sweet when that happens! Love, Rachel
Lisa said…
Thanks Rachel! I missed you too, and Dallin especially misses Jack and Em (though he always gets mixed up and calls them Jack and Jill).