Waldorf 101

I may or may not have done a post like this some time ago.  I can't remember, and I'm too lazy tired to go back and search to see.  But I've been thinking lately that some of my family and friends may be wondering just what this crazy intriguing method of education is all about... the underpinnings beyond all the fun and creative projects that I try to post about here.   Waldorf education is VERY different than any other educational philosophy out there--no doubt about it.  That's why I like it! 

1)  We are spiritual beings here on earth having a human experience.  I've been taught this since I was a young child courtesy of my LDS faith.  Now I have found an educational philosophy that honors this part of our humanity, that recognizes children as first and foremost spiritual beings, here on earth for a purpose.  The Waldorf curriculum is designed to speak to this.  The themes for each grade coincide with the spiritual needs of children at each age.  When I really became seriously interested in Waldorf homeschooling, it was this thematic content that tipped the scales for me and motivated me to really take a look at this method.

For example:  First grade=fairy tales, archetypal stories of good and evil.  First grade in Waldorf is age seven.  Children of my religion at age seven are preparing for baptism, when, at age eight, they will become accountable for their choices between good and evil.  Fairy tales always end happily and show that good always wins.  Second grade, age eight=both saint/hero stories and animal fables.  The saint and hero stories highlight the lives of very good people who have made very good choices to bless their fellow human beings.  These are people who lived their lives close to Spirit.  The animal fables (think Aesop's Fables) use fun and non-threatening methods to show what happens when unwise or bad choices are made.  So now my newly baptized child has a whole year of nourishing stories showing how other people have chosen good or bad and received the appropriate consequences.

Third grade is age nine.  Around age nine, according to Waldorf philosophy, there is a fundamental change in the child and how s/he relates to the world.  The child becomes more aware of his or her own separateness, and that can be really scary and unsettling for the child.  The child's relationship to authority changes, and this can be a time of questioning, criticicizing, anxiety, etc. as the child try to sort it all out.  This one I wasn't sure about, not having a nine-year-old myself until this year.  But now that Dallin is almost ten, I can say that I have seen this happening within him.  So in the third grade, children receive Old Testament stories.  They experience the bliss of the Garden of Eden and and loneliness of the Fall.  The Old Testament stories are all about the Hebrew peoples' relationship to God's authority, just as the child himself is struggling with his own relationship to parental or teacher authority.

And so on...  Each year has a theme that is designed to meet the needs of the child on a deeper, soul level.  It is not about simply learning facts or giving out information.  Waldorf is about giving something that is rich and meaningful and beautiful.

Waldorf is based on a spiritual philosophy or worldview called anthroposophy.  That initially concerned me.  I wasn't looking for a worldview... just a homeschool curriculum.   But since there was nothing else out there like Waldorf, I kept returning to find out more about this intriguing style of education and the beliefs that underlay it.   First of all, I found that there are many people from all walks of life, all spiritual backgrounds and belief systems, that love Waldorf.   Probably most of them are not anthroposophists and many do not believe in anthroposophy at all, they just like the educational method.  It was freeing to realize that as a homeschooler, I could take only the parts I agreed with and leave the rest.  It was also nice to discover that as I learned more, there are many aspects of the philosophy that actually fit very well with my own religious beliefs.  VERY well, as a matter of fact.   Some of the ideas have been things I already believe, just couched in different terminology.  Other things, I found that while I didn't agree with the reason given behind whatever it was, I still agree with the outcome or the practice.  (In fact, many aspects of Waldorf education are coming to be backed up by science and research.)  Still other things, it's been more of a "well, that could be true, or maybe it isn't... I'll let the jury still be out on that one" as long as it seems to be working for us.  And of course there have been a few ideas that were clearly bizarre (to me, anyway) and I've let go by the wayside.  In daily practice with my children, all my worry has been for naught.  Anthroposophy has been almost a complete non-issue.

2)  Thinking/Feeling/Willing or Head/Heart/Hands.   Waldorf education strives to educate the whole human being.  Traditional methods focus pretty much only on the head, the intellect.  Anything else is seen as fluff and frivolous.  Not!  Waldorf is a holistic education.  I've heard it described as a "true renaissance education".  My mom once told me that it sounded like a liberal arts education.   Not only are academic skills nurtured, but creative and artistic skills, movement, and "the will"--self discipline--are given equal importance.   And when I say "equal importance", that's exactly what I mean.  Equal.

3)  The Seven-Year-Cycles.  This is a foundational concept of Waldorf education.  Childhood is divided into three basic periods, each lasting approximately seven years.  Ages 0-7 is early childhood, and the focus is on willing or "hands".  This is the period when young children learn how to walk, talk, jump, run, skip, not hit, not bite, etc.  They learn how to control their bodies physically.   It is a very active time, and movement and physical activity are seen as incredibly important.  Free, imaginative play is also seen as crucial to the child's healthy development.  Academics are seen as potentially detrimental to the child's development because they put the child into the wrong phase and take time and energy away from the more important physical tasks of this stage.  A Waldorf early childhood involves lots of stories (oral), verses/rhymes/fingerplays/songs, time for imaginative play, free art, time outdoors and in nature, involvement in purposeful work, etc.  One other key element of the 0-7 stage is the concept of imitation.  For young children, imitation is the primary way they learn.  So a key part of this time of life is the parent working on giving the child something good to imitate.   The parents strives to model calmness, right speaking, purposeful work, a good daily rhythm, good habits, etc.

Ages 7-14 is middle childhood, and the emphasis is on "heart" or feeling.  Academics are brought, but through the feeling life of the child, which translates to art.   That is why in our homeschool, there is so much art.  Artistic endeavors create an emotional connection to the material we are learning.   It is not just that art is important, or that we make time for plenty of art.  Art is the vehicle through which everything else is brought!  Drawing, painting, modelling, drama, story, poetry, music, etc. are staples of the curriculum, not extras.  When a first grade child in Waldorf is introduced to the letters of the alphabet, it is done through stories and art.  Each letter is first introduced as a picture.  For example, the letter M is a mountain, and there would be a corresponding fairy tale involving a mountain.  Later on, as the child progresses in her education, she puts her work into bound books featuring not only her writing, but also her illustrating of the concepts she has been learning.  Fifth-graders studying botany will draw and model the plants they are studying as well as write about the.  Third-graders studying about shelters can build a model of some sort of house.

The tasks of the earlier phase are not left behind, just transormed.  Movement is still a huge part of the curriculum.  I was recently at a conference where the guest speaker recommended 15 minutes of movement every single day before starting school.  Developing the will is also a big part of Waldorf education.  This is done most commonly through handwork.  Yep, knitting, crocheting, weaving, doll-making, sewing, embroidery, woodworking, and much more are considered essentials!  In school!  Not only do these activities use our creative powers, but they also develop fine motor skills, and require focus and self-discipline.   Of course, many other tasks can also develop a person's will: chores, academic work, learning a musical instrument, even art.  Learning to do something that takes time and practice and may not come easily to you, or that you may not always feel like doing, develops WILLpower, and willpower will take a person far in life.

Another hallmark of this second stage, the elementary years, is the concept of wise and loving authority.   In Waldorf education, at this stage, the teacher is the authority.  There are no text books, and children are not left to learn from google or sent with a stack of books to peruse on their own.  The teacher studies the material, transforms the lesson, and brings it to the child(ren) herself.  The teacher-student relationship is huge.   (In a Waldorf school, children have the same teacher from first through eighth grade.)

Ages 14-21 form the third phase of childhood, and here the emphasis on on the "head" or intellect.   This is where true intellectual thought becomes possible.    Of course the "heart" and "hands" from the previous stages are still present, it's just that discernment, judgement, and other aspects of intellectualism are much more prevalent.

The belief is that by giving each of these stages it's own due time and emphasis, a well-balanced human being will (hopefully!) result.  The child who progresses through each of these stages will be an adult who is creative, active, imaginative, well-adjusted, self-disciplined, caring, self-confident, and a great intellectual thinker to boot.   (It sounds funny to write it, because we all know life isn't quite that easy.)

4)  Rhythm

The concept of rhythm is another vital aspect of Waldorf education.  Rhythm basically refers to organization, order, and  structure of time.  It is not only the what and when of time, but the how as well.  The world has natural order--just look at the seasons of the year!   Each come around dependably.  Each season serves a specific purpose and has a specific "feel".  Each season plays a vital role in the life of the earth, plants, etc. and also in our lives.  Rhythm teaches us to be aware of that order and use it to our best advantage.    And so there is rhythm to our year, our months, weeks, days, etc.    There is a strong seasonal emphasis in a Waldorf homeschool, but right now I'd like to focus weekly rhythm.   The way lessons are brought to the child is impacted by rhythm.  Many schools and homeschools follow a 2- or 3-day rhythm.  On day one, the story to be focused on is brought to the child.   The next day, the story is re-called in an artistic way.  Perhaps the child draws or paints something from the story, or models the characters from beeswax and puts on a short table play.  On the third day, the academic element is brought in.  The child now writes a summary of the story or does a grammar exercise based on the story.  Homeschools often use a 2-day rhythm where the story and the artistic recall may both happen on the same day, with the academic piece the next day.  The fifth day would be reserved for field trips or other projects.  Or, I've heard of an overlapping 3-day rhythm where the second 3-day period (of a 5-day week) would begin by telling a new story after the academic work is done on the third day of the first 3-day period.   Using time in this way makes the ideas being presented sink more deeply into the child.  There is no cramming--everything is given time to gel.  I must say it also makes homeschool planning so much easier!

5) Main Lessons

In Waldorf education, the concept of block teaching is used.  Rather than every subject being taught in short spurts every day, students really "live into" one main subject for several weeks at a time.  For example, we might focus on math for four weeks, then language arts for four weeks.   It is typical in the elementary years to have three month-long math blocks, four month-long language arts blocks, and maybe a science or nature block.  This does not mean that math, science, or language arts are not done at all when you are not in that main lesson block.  Iin the upper elementary grades, math and language skills are practiced daily for short amounts of time.  In the younger grades, mental math and times tables are practiced almost daily through active means.  But the bulk of the learning--and any presentation of new concepts--happens during that "main lesson".   This allows the previous subjects to "go to sleep" for awhile, to be reawakened later on.  History and science permeate all the blocks.  For example, we might do a language arts block focusing on farming.  But that block will also obviously incorporate lots of science too, as it relates to farming.  Or we might do a math block focused on the Hebrews of the Old Testmament, so there is history.  In later grades there are specific science blocks such as zoology, botany, etc.

In the younger grades, history is taught through the stories of the various peoples of the earth.  We bring tastes of Africa through the Anansi the Spider trickster stories in second grade.  Russia can be experienced through Russian fairy tales.  Native American stories come in second, third, and/or fourth grade--they can be done as animal fables, farming/creation stories, or as part of local geography.  Norse mythology is a huge component of the fourth grade.  Toward the fifth and sixth grades, more formal history is introduced through biography--more story, just a different type of story.  Always, the goal is to bring the material to the child in a living, exciting way.  No boring textbooks.  It comes through the teacher.

6)  A typical school day

A typical day at our house (maybe I should say an ideal typical day) would start with breakfast and quick chores.  Then we go outside for a walk.  I keep meaning to do a more formal movement time, but it hasn't happened yet with any regularity.  However, the 15-minute walk does help the children to get some energy out and be ready to settle for the morning.  When we get back, I get Dallin going with some kind of short seatwork.  This is usually handwriting and some daily math practice (if we are in a language arts block).  Generally at this age in a Waldorf setting, the daily math practice would be oral, mental, and active practice, not written work.  But I need to have Dallin occupied so that I can work with Sariah and Preston, so he gets written seatwork.  While Dallin is doing this, I have Sariah's circle and story time and put Preston down for a nap if he's tired.  After her circle time and having Mom's attention for 20-30 minutes, Sariah is ready for free play and I can start Dallin's main lesson, which usually takes 1.5-2 hours.  With all the interruptions...  It used to be 2-3 hours, and we've managed to get it to a more doable length.  If it's an art day, we might tell a story, model something out of beeswax, and draw an illustration for the main lesson book.  If it's an academic day, we might write a synopsis of the story and work on some grammar.  Spelling usually happens every day, just because it's an every day kind of thing.  I also try to have some poetry or verses to recite each day (relating to the main lesson) or a song to sing... but honestly a lot of times that goes by the wayside.  It's very weird to recite poetry with just one child (Dallin thinks it's weird too, which is probably the bigger reason why we don't do it often enough).   Then we have lunch.  After lunch is supposed to be time for handwork, painting, or form drawing (a method of therapeutic drawing unique to Waldorf) or doing some type of seasonal craft, or baking with Sariah, etc.  But honestly, after lunch we are often rushing off to an organ lesson or Primary presidency meeting or dentist appointment.  I haven't figured out how to make our afternoon time succeed!  We are not supposed to formally "school" on Fridays.  That's the idea, anyway.  I've intended Fridays to be for field trips or heavier chores ("responsible healthy living" is a required subject in the state of Utah, so I say chores count!).  But I think more often than not we do school on Fridays just because there is always something to catch up on.  Sariah (when she's not doing some specific kindergarten activity) and Preston weave in and out of the other activities for Dallin.  Sariah often sits at the table and draws while Dallin is doing something.  And Preston likes to draw too--on the chalkboard, with crayons.  All the toys are in the schoolroom so the two littler ones can be right there.

Comments

Carrie said…
This is totally what I needed right now! I am overwhelmed by the idea of Waldorf homeschooling and yet the way you break it down, it seems so doable!
Lisa said…
The structure of Waldorf actually makes things pretty easy to plan and follow, IMO. I would never survive as a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants unschooler! The overwhelming part of Waldorf for me is all the new skills to learn: knitting, painting, pennywhistle, etc. But I honestly think it would be easier if I'd been able to start with kindy and first grade and take things on a little at a time.