Back when I was a new music major in the early 1990's, my very first semester studying organ with Don Cook, Dr. Cook introduced me to the wonderful, indispensible Carols for Choirs, edited by David Willcocks. One of the very first accompaniments I learned from that book was the setting of O Come All Ye Faithful, and it is the version I have used to accompany many congregations ever since that time. It is what has made O Come All Ye Faithful my very favorite Christmas hymn.
Now, years later, I still can't let Christmas go by without either playing this or listening to it. Luckily for me, the choir of Kings College, Cambridge, recorded this and many other favorite settings from Carols for Choirs in a CD that is now going on its second copy in my house because I've listened to it so much. When I listen this recording, available here on YouTube, it's as if I'm right there playing the organ. I have it practically memorized and can anticipate each and every word and chord. It wouldn't be Christmas without O Come All Ye Faithful!
Now, years later, I still can't let Christmas go by without either playing this or listening to it. Luckily for me, the choir of Kings College, Cambridge, recorded this and many other favorite settings from Carols for Choirs in a CD that is now going on its second copy in my house because I've listened to it so much. When I listen this recording, available here on YouTube, it's as if I'm right there playing the organ. I have it practically memorized and can anticipate each and every word and chord. It wouldn't be Christmas without O Come All Ye Faithful!
Comments