The last two years the results of my garden have been so-so. I almost wasn't even going to plant anything this year because I wondered what the point would be. I've been doing a square foot garden, and even though the guru guy who started this form of gardening insists that you don't need to fertilize, that his special soil blend is all you need, I decided to try fertilizing this year to see if it made a difference. And boy, did it!
Last year I got enough beans over the whole season to make maybe one side dish for dinner.
This year, I planted more--a whole square-- and have beans coming out my ears! In about 4-5 days last week, I filled a whole quart bag, and I've picked what you see above just since we got back from vacation Saturday night. I had picked the plants clean on Thursday afternoon before we left, and when I got back everything was huge and some were even bumpy and showing signs of age.
My beautiful bean plants!
And for the first time in three years of gardening, I have peppers that are bigger than quarters!
My winter squash. This is the first year we only had a couple of squash bugs, which we promptly got rid of. (Ignore the weeds behind the garden. The entire yard is covered with weeds, but at least the garden looks good, right?)
And the corn. Gotto go google what the brown leaves mean.
The entire garden is heirloom and organic varieties only, except the peppers. I ordered from a company called Bountiful Gardens, and they have a seed collection of easy-growers for beginners. Maybe that helped, too?





Comments