We finished covering five more creatures during the last two weeks of the school year: house flies, dragonflies, butterflies, spiders, and mosquitos. I'm not going to bore everyone with seeing Dallin's work for all of those bugs, but instead I'll just focus mainly on the butterflies. Suffice it to say that for each of these critters, Dallin wrote a summary of their characteristics and then did some kind of art to go along with it. The very last week of our block, I found some great nature stories at http://www.mainlesson.com/ that presented each of these insects in a story format. I wish I'd found this at the beginning; it would have been so much better than just discussing things!
We learned this poem, which he copied into his mainlesson book.
We painted butterflies:
I love his work! He was trying to paint "eyes" on the wings, like some of the butterflies we saw in a library book we got on the subject.
Sariah made one too. (Mommy helped with the butterfly shape, she did the rest.)
We looked at this really cook book that Dallin's birth grandma gave him a few years back:
Each page features a different letter of the alphabet that has been photographed on an actual, real butterfly.
We started a spring/summer nature table and contributed dragonflies (made from clothespins and old watercolor paintings, cut out and dusted with glitter) and wool butterflies that we made from a kit.
We gardened some more. The weather has NOT cooperated! We still haven't been able to plant the seeds for our moon garden, because it's been raining, snowing (!), or just plain too windy and cold. We finally have the bed ready, after lots of heavy duty work by Mom and some by the kids too.
Dallin screening rocks. You dig a hole, and you can hardly get through the soil because there are so many rocks.
Sariah putting good dirt back into our holes.
We also made bug snacks:
We did ants on a log, ladybugs, and banana caterpillars.
The other day Sariah showed me a stack of papers. On each one, she had drawn a different insect or bug. Then she proceeded to tell me a "story" about each different bug. I was amazed how much she remembered from out lessons! And she wasn't even supposed to be the main recipient of my teaching!









Comments