Another homeschooling week done! This was an interesting week: I had the coolest plans, and we did some of the funnest activities, but all week our rhythm was off--way off. Things took way longer than I anticipated, and I often had planned too many things for one day, so we had to move other things over to the next day, and the next. I've discovered that something Dallin is totally enthusiastic about on one day just does't have the same impact when it has "to be continued". I dunno, it was just a weird week. If anything, I've learned that sometimes simple really is better, sometimes I try to go overboard with fantastically complicated activities.
Eight-year-olds being educated the Waldorf way spend a good deal of time learning about saints and heroes, and that is our unit this month. We are learning about really good people who had one foot in this world and one foot in heaven, so to speak. This week our "saint" was Columba. I'd never heard of him until reading about him in a book, but he is quite a fascinating figure. Telling his story was a good mix of legend and fact, well, at least as much fact as you can determine about a person who lived 1500 years ago and the only sources of information about him are several hundred years younger than he is. Columba was a monk and missionary in Ireland and Scotland in the very earliest days of Christianity in those countries. I chose his story because he and Dallin have very similar temperaments. There was a (true) story about Columba painstakingly copying a book manuscript belonging to one of his teachers. The teacher refused to let him keep it, claiming that it was the teacher's book, therefore Columba couldn't have his own copy. The king had to intervene and sided with the teacher. Columba got mad about this and another incident and came to battle against the king. 3000 people died in the conflict. Columba later felt so sorry for the incident and the resulting destruction of life that he left Ireland with some of his monks, sailing for Scotland. He decided that to make up for sending 3000 unprepared souls to heaven, he would attempt to convert 3000 people to Christianity. For the rest of his life he was a peacemaker and diplomat among various people of Scotland.
I decided to have Dallin create shadow puppets and put on a little play about Columba. He absolutely loved this activity, but it was hugely time-consuming. We will only do this about once or twice a year! Of course, Sariah couldn't be left out, so I had to help her make shadow puppets for her story-of-the-week too. Between the two stories, we spent hours on this project! Tonight the kids performed their plays for Daddy.
![]() |
| Sariah's play of Maschenka and the Bear. (I couldn't really get her to hold the characters up to the curtain for a better effect, but at least you can see the scenery!) |
![]() |
| And Dallin's grander play of the story of Columba. |
![]() |
| We painted for the first time in months. Dallin initially resisted painting, but now he begs for it. This is a river, green land, and mountain against a sunset. The instructions are on Melisa Nielsen's second painting video http://www.youtube.com/alittlegardenflower#p/u/13/72VHhYsArUY Dallin's painting actually turned out better than mine, which is why mine isn't posted! What's cool about this painting is that it's done with only the three primary colors--red, yellow, and blue. |








Comments