The holidays are here!

We celebrated by trimming the tree on Saturday and lighting the first Advent candle on Sunday.  Sariah is convinced that Christmas is tomorrow and can't understand why there are no presents appearing yet.  Though she did give away one of my gifts yesterday.  I asked her to bring me my camera so I could take pictures of the tree-trimming, to which she replied, "OK Mommy, but do you want your new camera since it's Christmas?"  Needless to say, Daddy was not pleased that the secret was out.  (Though I knew I'd be getting one anyway since it's what I asked for.)

Decorating the house turned out to be kind of an adventure, because Preston picked yesterday to not be asleep all day, and I'm learning when he's awake, he wants only to be held, non-stop, ALL the time.  So I held and nursed him while James and the kids decorated the tree and house.  James spent the entire time fussing with the lights, which somehow are only lighting up half the tree.  While he was doing that and I was tied to my chair, Dallin and Sariah proceeded to empty all six or so boxes of Christmas decorations all over the floor.  Then Dallin proceeded to arrange all the decorations the way he wanted them and got mad when I changed his plans.  Sorry kid, my house, my way!  When you grow up, you can put your decorations just where you want them!  (I don't care what they do with the tree, but the nativities and other figurines are mine.)






Tonight, the first night of Advent, went better than any other candle-lighting we've had the past three years.  And that's saying something, because it was far from the perfect dreamy observance that I hoped for.  But all in all, it went well.  Even if Sariah complained that the song (O Come, O Come Emmanuel) was too long.  And even if both kids argued with us over how many lights were going to be turned off for the event.  (Sorry guys, but one candle isn't enough light for Mommy's poor, aging eyes to read from!)

Comments