Expecting a baby...

... is awesome!

And by that I mean that while the prospect of getting to have another baby is truly awesome, what I'm really referring to is the fact that I have 2.5 months (well I did, now it's down to just over 1.5) to prepare for that baby.

One of my biggest adoption fears was doing another last-minute-middle-of-a-funeral crazy adoption.  This time, to have TIME to prepare physically and emotionally is the biggest blessing!  I cannot over-estimate what a difference it's made and is making each day as I can gradually plan and think and connect and get ready for the end of November.

It takes time for a baby to grow in your heart as well as in your body.  Getting the call this time was a huge shock.  Luckily we first had a few weeks to get accustomed to the idea that we might be chosen.  Then, once chosen, I've enjoyed the fact that each week I can get a bit closer emotionally to having another child.  My feelings have changed from day to day and week to week, and it's been exciting and relieving to feel and experience those changes.  Every day this feels just a bit more real. 

The list of things I need to do between now and the end of November is huge!  It's overwhelming if I think about it too much.  I wrote everything down, and I'm just trying to check one thing off the list at a time.  I can't imagine how I would be cramming this into just a few days or weeks. 

To be done:

  • Rewrite my December homeschool plans (in other words, basically nix them)
  • Have January and February's plans written down in the minutest of details so I can literally "open and go" every day.  I won't have time to think or prepare!
  • Plan and prepare the presentation I'm supposed to give to our local music teachers' association in January so I also won't have to think about it once the baby is here.
  • Get all my Christmas shopping planned and done.
  • Plan, prepare, and present leadership training for our primary music leaders.
  • Collect or purchase all the baby gear we'll need.  Ours is all expired, recalled, or just plain worn out.  (Thanks to those who have offered to lend things!)
  • Start buying at least a few clothes.
  • Finish making 2 dozen cloth diapers and order what else I'll need to cloth diaper this baby.
  • Prepare and play the organ for stake conference.
  • Get one student and possibly two through with their BYU independent study organ courses.  (Suddenly everybody has the goal of finishing by December???)
  • Schedule doctor's and lactation consultant appointments.
  • Possibly start pumping to prepare for inducing lactation. 
  • Clean out the basement.
  • Finish putting the baseboards up that have been sitting for four months.  (I can't go into having a new baby with a half-finished remodelling project left unfinished!  I just can't!)
  • Go to bi-weekly and then weekly doctor's appointments with our hopeful baby's expectant mother.
  • And oh yeah, homeschool my kids every day.  Just a minor detail.

Comments

Stacy said…
Your process and list sounds so much like mine! The bonding with this baby has taken some time, and it's only now that the time is getting so short that things seem to be getting better.

I decided that we have to paint the basement and the stairwell before the baby comes. Tom is resistant, but I've hated it since we moved in, and now's as good of a time as any, right?

And yes, the Christmas shopping. *groan*. Online shopping is my friend.
Jen said…
Congrats on your upcoming addition! That is one daunting task list you have though...you are seriously so much more ambitious than me! Good luck getting everything done! If I lived closer I would totally lend you some baby stuff!