We decided (or, truthfully, I should say that I decided) to dye our Easter eggs with natural dyes this year. I wasn't quite brave enough to go with the real, live plants... but I did buy a kit where the dyes were plant-based.
It was a bit more of a process. We had to soak all the eggs in vinegar for awhile.
And then most of the colors didn't take very well. The blue was beautiful and bold in about 10 minutes, but the rest... well, I tried a lot of tricks, and eventually, with much time and effort, they were a nice, soft, pale pastel. The kids seemed to be OK with it, much to my relief. I mean, who wants to be the Mommy-who-ruined-Easter-by-being-a-crunchy-purist? Not me! (Although I'm already plotting how I can dye Easter eggs with real plants next year and have them turn out decently...)
Comments