So now what do I do?
Two weeks ago, I committed to keep Sariah up instead of putting her down for naps. The first week, she slept through the night probably 5 out of 6 nights. But then she started getting really, really crabby at her former naptime and at other times of the day. Several times she has fallen asleep on the couch or in my arms. Right now she is asleep on the couch after falling asleep while we rocked and read stories. So maybe I shouldn't rock her? Well, that would be fine if she were playing happily, but no, she's cranky and fussy and crying and even asking to be rocked and asking for her blankie.
So for the second week, some days I've been able to keep her awake, and other days she's fallen asleep (never in her bed). She's started nightwaking again some nights. We kind of wait a few minutes to see if she'll go back to sleep. Sometimes she does, but a lot of times she doesn't. Some nights she's woken up 2-3 times a night. We've had a few nights of her being up late because we've been out or something, and yeah, she does tend to wake on those nights. I know that too little sleep is just as bad as too much sleep. But even after we've gotten back to our regular bedtime, she's still waking. Friday night she was up till 9:00 pm because James and I were gone to the temple. Saturday night she fell asleep around 8:00 pm with a babysitter while James I were gone at stake conference. Sunday she was unbelievablel cranky all day, and we kept her awake even though she would have probably napped very well. We put her to bed early, around 7:15. She woke up at least twice all the way, and several more times going right back to sleep on her own. It's been a few days since she's slept all night long.
So go back to naps, if she's tired and grumpy and isn't going to sleep all night anyway? (Believe me, I'm having a really hard time giving up her naptime too!) Keep going with the no-naps, but focus on a more consistent, earlier bedtime (which will be hard because we have so many evening obligations)?
Help!
Two weeks ago, I committed to keep Sariah up instead of putting her down for naps. The first week, she slept through the night probably 5 out of 6 nights. But then she started getting really, really crabby at her former naptime and at other times of the day. Several times she has fallen asleep on the couch or in my arms. Right now she is asleep on the couch after falling asleep while we rocked and read stories. So maybe I shouldn't rock her? Well, that would be fine if she were playing happily, but no, she's cranky and fussy and crying and even asking to be rocked and asking for her blankie.
So for the second week, some days I've been able to keep her awake, and other days she's fallen asleep (never in her bed). She's started nightwaking again some nights. We kind of wait a few minutes to see if she'll go back to sleep. Sometimes she does, but a lot of times she doesn't. Some nights she's woken up 2-3 times a night. We've had a few nights of her being up late because we've been out or something, and yeah, she does tend to wake on those nights. I know that too little sleep is just as bad as too much sleep. But even after we've gotten back to our regular bedtime, she's still waking. Friday night she was up till 9:00 pm because James and I were gone to the temple. Saturday night she fell asleep around 8:00 pm with a babysitter while James I were gone at stake conference. Sunday she was unbelievablel cranky all day, and we kept her awake even though she would have probably napped very well. We put her to bed early, around 7:15. She woke up at least twice all the way, and several more times going right back to sleep on her own. It's been a few days since she's slept all night long.
So go back to naps, if she's tired and grumpy and isn't going to sleep all night anyway? (Believe me, I'm having a really hard time giving up her naptime too!) Keep going with the no-naps, but focus on a more consistent, earlier bedtime (which will be hard because we have so many evening obligations)?
Help!
Comments
none of my kids. I just let them sleep when they were tired because my schedule was too bizarre to have things the same every day. When Eva was a baby I was in school so I never had a "routine". I really think they tell you when they're tired, hungry, etc. and my life's easier when I just try to go with their needs and take it day to day.
You'll make it!
I would probably go back to naps if bedtime is hard to be consistent with, if nothing else you will get your free time back!