Minutiae

(I think that's how you spell it?)

There just isn't anything going on around here that's worth an entire blog post, so I thought maybe all the little things put together might possibly make a post. I guess the other title for this couple be "random crap". (At least, that's what most other bloggers title posts like this one.)

I spent most of the week with a nasty cold that even my trusty Emergen-C failed to either prevent or minimize. I even bowed to the baby-sitting powers of the TV so that I could sleep on more than one occasion.

Yesterday we finally had both good weather and good health, and I finally got outside to clean up my yard. There is nothing like the exhausted high I feel after a good day's hard work out of doors! And the yard looks beautiful! In the midst of a pile of leaves, blown over grass, and overgrown dead plants from last fall, we found a tiny little crocus that had actually bloomed.

The flowering pear branches that we forced two weeks ago have bloomed on the nature table, too. Ah, spring! Spring makes me happy!

We met with our new caseworker (number 6!) on Thursday morning. Now it's just a matter of figuring out what the heck we're supposed to do about these children that are supposedly coming sometime in the future. No option calls to us. What we really, really want to do is just remain waiting with LDS Family Services. Everything else feels not necessarily wrong, but just less desirable. Definitely nothing else feels "right". So unless we get some flash of revelation to the contrary, staying with LDS Family Services is what we plan to do. But yeah, I'm antsy. James and I are getting older. Our kids are getting older. Let's get this show on the road!

Homeschooling? I don't know. I just don't know. No yes answer so far, so I guess that's by default a no. I've cut down on the homeschool research just to see if some distance would give me some clarity of mind on the matter. Right now the best I can come up with is just that it's a "maybe not now" kind of thing. Because I really love Waldorf, and whenever I read about schooling the Waldorf way, it's so exciting and beautiful and fulfilling. And public school seems so... not any of those things. But unless I get a definitive answer, it seems Dallin will be going on to third grade in public school, and I will keep doing the early years stuff with Sariah and playing things by ear with her education. I am planning to do a very Waldorf-y approach to her preschool years, and if she's not "ready" for kindergarten by society's standards, then she's not and we'll homeschool.

My living room is now devoid of one extremely large organ and all it's assorted paraphernalia! It's also devoid of a piano and a dining room set... but the big beastie was the organ. I wanted it moved a year ago, but $200 to move it was out of our budget. Thanks to Uncle V and the guys from our neighborhood, the big hunk of junk has now been dumped at the dump! And we can move on to our next project of installing laminate flooring in our living room and kitchen.

Easter is coming, and I can't wait! We have spring break first, and we're going down south to lovely St. George to relax in a condo for a few days. Then we'll have all the festivities: egg dyeing, egg felting, our annual Jerusalem Dinner, Easter baskets, and all the rest. I've got sewing to do--that's the fun part about having a girl!

It's always interesting to realize that some one finds you intimidating. I had one of those conversations today about someone that I am supposed to be helping through my calling (stake primary music leader), but who is hesitant to receive my help because my being such a good musician intimidates her. Well, I can't exactly not be a good musician. I am who I am. And I'm really a very nice person who would be happy to help. And I do have lots of good ideas that would help. And it's my job to help. I just got to thinking about how there are many people out there who look like they're so polished and can do virtually anything really well. I think that's how I am perceived sometimes, even though it's not true, it just happens that my last few church callings have been doing things I enjoy and am good at. But on the inside we're all insecure! This woman who's feeling so insecure about her calling has no idea how insecure I feel about my fertility (or lack thereof). I think she would be shocked.

My kids spent the afternoon today whittling sticks with knives. My response was "Cool, that looks like fun!" Daddy's response was not quite so enthusiastic, but we converted him to the fun-ness of making huge messes and risking our lives and limbs engaging in activities that might not be exactly Sabbath-worthy. Hey, I was just thrilled that Dallin found something unique and creative to do instead of whining about not being able to play video games.

Sariah's in that funny stage where everything I say, she takes literally. She'll blab on about something, I'll murmur "Oh, I see," and she'll get mad at me. "No, you don't see! You can't see it!"

Sariah had a little adventure at school the other week. She decided that following mommy's directions about staying with mommy at all times was neither fun nor necessary. She thought it would be more fun to head home all on her own. Nevermind that she'd have to cross a busy street to do it. Luckily, while mommy was frantically searching all over the school and having the lovely office ladies put out the page for a little, lost 3-year-old girl, Sariah was discovered by the crossing guard, who helped her cross, then made her sit down on the grass and wait for her mommy.

I can't remember if I ever blogged about Dallin and his obsession with reading minutes? Well, that was back in January when he was determined to be the kid in his class with the most minutes, and topped off at over 2000. Some days he read 3 hours a day. Being the weird mom that I am, I thought that was too much and really out-of-balance. Everybody else thought it was cool. I predicted burnout, and burnout is what we have got--right now he doesn't want to read At. All. He'd rather be doing anything BUT reading.

Well, I guess this was more than minutiae. Maybe I have more to say than I think?

Comments

Linnea said…
I think the not reading anything is a phase--mine have done that too. I'll just find a cool book that I read aloud and make them listen to a bit of every day. I have a few he might like!
Lisa said…
OH, he loves to be read to. Just doesn't want to do it himself.