When I took child development in college, one of our requirements was to spend 30 minutes in the observation booth at the university preschool observing a single child and write it up in detail. Well, this morning, I got this great idea that it would be fun to write a play-by-play description of what Sariah does all day long. After about 20 minutes, I realized I would have to cut that down to an hour... because she is BUSY.
8:50 am
Sariah is playing "Mrs. Bear" (from A Mother for Choco, a wonderful adoption book) and Baby Bear with two stuffed animals. She asks me if I want a hug from Mrs. Bear.
9:00 am
Sariah has a sleepover on the family room floor with her stuffed animals, about four of them. She plays with our dog, Zoey, and makes her tiny stuffed dog pretend to nurse from the real dog. (I wish I have the camera ready to go.)
9:10 am
While I am getting dressed, Sariah goes into my bathroom and puts on my deoderant. Then she "cleans" the bathroom by putting all my supplies in drawers.
9:15 am
Sariah runs in circles around the doll blankets on the family room floor. She plays with a calculator, pretending it is a telephone, and "talks" to Mrs. Bear on it. Then she sings a made-up song about Mrs. Bear. She makes "gates" to put in front of the stairway from the oven racks, which I've had out since I was cleaning the oven. The "gates" are to keep the doggie out. She then proceeds to bang on the "gates" with a metal stick that she found who knows where.
9:20 am
She puts her animals to sleep behind the gates, then wakes them up and lays them in a line on the living room floor.
9:25 am
Sariah takes her stuffed animals in the bathroom and makes them go potty. (This she informs me of very sheepishly when I poke my head in to see what's going on.)
9:30 am
Sariah sets Mrs. Bear up for a photo shoot and takes picture of her sitting on a kitchen chair (with Mommy's real camera).
9:35 am
Mrs. Bear is sick and needs to lay down and go to sleep. Sariah tells her, "I know you are tired, and you need to get some good rest. Don't get off your blanket! I know you're not tired!" (Gee, I wonder where she's heard that before???)
Sariah wants crackers and lets me know by jumping up and down in front of the pantry yelling, "Cwack! Cwack! Cwack! Cwack!" She then sits down on top of poor, sick Mrs. Bear to eat her snack. When I give her a funny look, she assures me that, "He like to be sit on!"
9:40 am
Sariah is running back and forth jumping over Mrs. Bear and laughing her head off.
9:45 am
Mom decides to intervene. A picture of Zoey nursing the stuffed puppy would be the perfect addition to this post! But Sariah has not thought of this on her own, so Mom decides to "help" a little bit. Note to Mom: "Helping" always backfires!
Mommy tells Sariah that Baby Doggie is hungry. Sariah laughs and says, "He doesn't like crackers. He likes people food!" Mom suggests that maybe Baby Doggie wants to nurse. "He wants to nurse from me!" Sariah exclaims. (Now that would have been a cute picture too, but with no shirt on I wasn't going to go there.) Mom throws out the idea that maybe the doggie wants to nurse from Zoey. "No! Hahahahaha!" Sariah throws the stuffed dog against the oven-rack "gates" over and over, laughing.
9:50 am
Sariah climbs up and down the oven racks.
9:52 am
(Mom is in the bathroom.) Sariah lets the real dog in from outside. She holds poor Zoey by the leg and tries to wipe each of her paws. She proudly proclaims, "I wipe front legs and back legs, and Zoey didn't even bite me!" She celebrates by running around the room in circles, humming and leaping, while eating more crackers.
I wish I could fit this much stuff into an entire day! And I wish I had the energy to run around and leap, jump, and hum all at the same time, over and over.
8:50 am
Sariah is playing "Mrs. Bear" (from A Mother for Choco, a wonderful adoption book) and Baby Bear with two stuffed animals. She asks me if I want a hug from Mrs. Bear.
9:00 am
Sariah has a sleepover on the family room floor with her stuffed animals, about four of them. She plays with our dog, Zoey, and makes her tiny stuffed dog pretend to nurse from the real dog. (I wish I have the camera ready to go.)
9:10 am
While I am getting dressed, Sariah goes into my bathroom and puts on my deoderant. Then she "cleans" the bathroom by putting all my supplies in drawers.
9:15 am
Sariah runs in circles around the doll blankets on the family room floor. She plays with a calculator, pretending it is a telephone, and "talks" to Mrs. Bear on it. Then she sings a made-up song about Mrs. Bear. She makes "gates" to put in front of the stairway from the oven racks, which I've had out since I was cleaning the oven. The "gates" are to keep the doggie out. She then proceeds to bang on the "gates" with a metal stick that she found who knows where.
9:20 am
She puts her animals to sleep behind the gates, then wakes them up and lays them in a line on the living room floor.
9:25 am
Sariah takes her stuffed animals in the bathroom and makes them go potty. (This she informs me of very sheepishly when I poke my head in to see what's going on.)
9:30 am
Sariah sets Mrs. Bear up for a photo shoot and takes picture of her sitting on a kitchen chair (with Mommy's real camera).
9:35 am
Mrs. Bear is sick and needs to lay down and go to sleep. Sariah tells her, "I know you are tired, and you need to get some good rest. Don't get off your blanket! I know you're not tired!" (Gee, I wonder where she's heard that before???)
Sariah wants crackers and lets me know by jumping up and down in front of the pantry yelling, "Cwack! Cwack! Cwack! Cwack!" She then sits down on top of poor, sick Mrs. Bear to eat her snack. When I give her a funny look, she assures me that, "He like to be sit on!"
9:40 am
Sariah is running back and forth jumping over Mrs. Bear and laughing her head off.
9:45 am
Mom decides to intervene. A picture of Zoey nursing the stuffed puppy would be the perfect addition to this post! But Sariah has not thought of this on her own, so Mom decides to "help" a little bit. Note to Mom: "Helping" always backfires!
Mommy tells Sariah that Baby Doggie is hungry. Sariah laughs and says, "He doesn't like crackers. He likes people food!" Mom suggests that maybe Baby Doggie wants to nurse. "He wants to nurse from me!" Sariah exclaims. (Now that would have been a cute picture too, but with no shirt on I wasn't going to go there.) Mom throws out the idea that maybe the doggie wants to nurse from Zoey. "No! Hahahahaha!" Sariah throws the stuffed dog against the oven-rack "gates" over and over, laughing.
9:50 am
Sariah climbs up and down the oven racks.
9:52 am
(Mom is in the bathroom.) Sariah lets the real dog in from outside. She holds poor Zoey by the leg and tries to wipe each of her paws. She proudly proclaims, "I wipe front legs and back legs, and Zoey didn't even bite me!" She celebrates by running around the room in circles, humming and leaping, while eating more crackers.
I wish I could fit this much stuff into an entire day! And I wish I had the energy to run around and leap, jump, and hum all at the same time, over and over.
Comments