It must be January...

...because everything is going so well!

It's a new year, with a new routine, new motivation and energy!  We spent all of Christmas break hanging out in front of the TV and computer, and I wondered how I would get back into normal life.  But this week has been fabulous.  I get so much more done when the computer is off.  And I feel so much better when the TV is off.  Besides the issue of how it affects the kids and their behavior, I can't stand the noise of having the TV blaring all day.  The house has been so peaceful and quiet this week, and our lives have mirrored that.

I've been so productive!  My house has been relatively clean the entire week.  I've sewed crayon rolls out of felt for each child, a project I didn't quite finish in time for Christmas.  Sariah and I have had circle time almost every day.  We've been doing rhymes and songs about Jack Frost.  Today we pretended to be the North Wind and see what kinds of objects we could blow with our mouths.  We've painted, made snowflakes, and used glitter.  Our winter nature table is coming along.  We baked homemade soft pretzels yesterday, and even Dallin was happy to participate. 

Dallin started Junior Jazz basketball last week.  I got to go to his practice last night, and it's so fun to watch him.  He is definitely the most energetic kid on his team!  (But that didn't surprise anyone, did it?)

Dallin also started piano lessons again yesterday.  I was kind of dreading it, but feeling like I "should" do it.  He's had a year's break, and sometimes I felt like a lazy mom for letting him go this long.  But now I know it was the right thing.  Yesterday he grasped in one short lesson things we'd worked on for MONTHS the last time I taught him piano.  (Left hand/right hand, finger numbers, hand position.)  And as much as he'd been whining and telling me that he was a sports guy and piano was "Mom's thing", not his, he actually made the comment about halfway through his lesson: "Hey, this is FUN!"  This morning when I suggested that he could practice the piano before school, he actually thought that was a good idea.  And went and practice ALL BY HIMSELF.  Who knew?

The only not-so-wonderful reminder of what piano lessons were like was the fact that, despite how much I'd prepared by finding her something fun with which to occupy herself, we still spent a good part of the lesson having to deal with Sariah.  But I realized that I need to get used to this if I want to homeschool.  In fact, the whole piano lesson thing is another litmus test for me as to whether or not homeschool would be feasible.  If I can't manage a weekly piano lesson with my child, how would I managed daily "school"?

This is too good to be true, huh?  I'm just waiting for this big, airy, white cloud to fill up with deep gray water and break right over my head.  How long do you think it will take?

Comments