I resolve?

How come the one resolution I most want and need to make for this new year is the one resolution I have the least amount of faith in myself to be able to pull off? 

I enjoy making New Years' resolutions.  I think there are natural, structured times during the year when change and regeneration come easier, and I like to take advantage of those times.  For me, the three best times to recommit to goals are at the New Year, the beginning of summer vacation, and the beginning of school in the fall. 

I try not to have long lists of goals.  I try to keep it simple and work toward doing only those things that are most important and which I think I can accomplish.

There is one thing that has been on my mind for the past 3-4 months, something I want to change.  Something I need to change.  Something that I feel, if it were to change, would have probably more impact on my and my family's lifes and lifestyle than virtually any other thing.  This one thing would affect many, many things for the better.  And yet the idea of changing this one thing scares me!  It scares me because I have tried it in the past and not gotten very far.  It is a habit that is so ingrained in me that I've come to identify myself by it.  Changing it would feel like changing my very nature. 

I'm a night-owl. 

I'm a night owl who knows that arising early each morning before the rest of the family would give my days a much better start.  Doing this would mean time for exercise, time for meditation and scripture study, time to think about the day before being immersed in the day, time to rejuvenate myself before the demands of two little people unleash themselves on me. 

I can't count how many times I've pondered about some of the various challenges and problems that seem to plague our family and known, deep in my heart, that by getting up early I could be better prepared for the day and thus able to set a better tone for our home.

But I'm a night owl!

Getting up early in the morning would of necessity mean going to bed early.  And while going to bed early might seem like a great idea t 7:00 pm, by the time 9:00 pm comes around and all the kids are wound down in their beds, my little brain screams, "Me time!  Me time!  Me time!  Gotta have my Me Time!" 

I REALLY want to do this!  I KNOW how beneficial it would be!

But I'm scared to even try.

Comments

One Fish said…
We are so on the same page on this. How I wish I were one of those people who could operate on a small amount of sleep so I could do both.