Christmas Day, Part 1

We had to wake the kids up! (Well, sort of...) James got up at 5:00, I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. We sat around for an hour. (Well, James was busy, I wasn't... I was antsy!) At 6:30 I heard Sariah stir. James said something about patting her back and getting her to go back to sleep. (Ha ha, NOT!) I went up there and asked her if she knew what day it was. Her response was, "Friday?" She had completely forgotten that anything remotely exciting was happening today. When she finally realized it was Christmas, it was quite easy to convince her to go and wake Dallin up.

I've decided that they can't really settle in and enjoy their Santa gifts until they've opened everything. They expressed happiness for what Santa had brought them (an air hockey table and a wooden highchair/handmade baby doll--how's that for extremes?) for about 30 seconds and immediately started begging to open the rest of the gifts. I was afraid they didn't like what we'd picked and was feeling kind of bad. But once they'd dug in and seen every little thing they were getting, they relaxed and those two Santa gifts were what they played with all the rest of the morning.


As usual, Sariah got lots of lip gloss and chapstick in her stocking, which Daddy is helping her apply.  Daddy is also wearing the butterfly bow she got.  What a great Daddy!
Sariah even had to bring her baby and high chair to breakfast with us. They sat right next to her. I was praying no hot cocoa would get spilled on that doll I just spent six weeks making. There were also threats made that the first child to write or color on that high chair is going to be in deep doodoo with Momma! (Since this is a pressing concern around our house...)


Dallin is now pondering the existential question of whether or not Santa Claus is real. What instigated this curiosity and skepticism? The fact that his stocking contained a bag of beautiful rocks and crystals, something he had requested. He told me that Santa could not have brought those because he never told Santa he wanted rocks. He was pretty convinced Santa wasn't real, and I was SO close to just giving in and telling him the truth, but I couldn't do it. I wasn't entirely sure that he was ready to make this step, to move on from the magic of childhood. I kind of hemmed and hawed and hoped that he'd see that I was teasing him, but I really want him to come to this conclusion on his own. I don't want to ruin it for him. If he asks me straight out, I'll tell him, but until then I want him to sweat about it.


For the woman who is ALWAYS cold, new slippers and one of those snuggy blanket/wraps.


Love it!
Posted by Picasa

Comments