Advent Week Three: The Animals

(with extra musings on the fantasy vs. the reality of Christmastime...)

I bought this sweet little Waldorf-y curriculum for Advent. Basically, the season is divided into four weeks, each week focused on a different element of nature and how that element relates to the coming of the Savior. Week one was the mineral kingdom--stones, shells, etc. I couldn't really figure out how to incorporate that in a way that felt comfortable as an LDS person. Maybe thinking about it this whole next year, I'll be able to come up with some ideas. Week two was focused on plants. We talked a bit about the fir tree, for example, and what it symbolizes. Week three is animals, and week four is humans.

So we sang a sweet little song about the different animals that played a part in the Savior's birth--the cow who gave the manger, the sheep, the donkey, etc. We've read/told some Christmas stories about animals. And the goal was to make gifts for the animals in our lives. I decided that we'd make homemade dog biscuits for our dog, and we'd make bird feeders out of oranges to hang in the trees.

Here are samples of what we did:




Sounds simple and lovely, doesn't it?

Reading Waldorf blogs is totally inspiring. Just peek at some of the ones I've linked in my sidebar, and you'll see. They exude simplicity, warmth, and beauty. Who wouldn't want their homes--their lives--to look like a postcard? Of course I know that those people edit their blogs just like I edit mine (yes, I do! I promise! You think it's all venting, well trust me, I leave a lot out!)

But it's still temtping to wonder if my life could ever be like that. It seems like every single Christmas activity we've done this month has been fraught with challenge. The beautiful pictures I posted at Temple Square didn't show the 7-year-old who spent an hour (no exaggeration!) screaming because his parents made him wear a coat. Our Jesse Tree tradition has consisted of mornings of constant interruption. No matter how much I try to get breakfast all ready and anticipate each child's every need so we can sit down and do with without distraction, it doesn't work. Or there's arguing about who says the prayer, whose turn it is to read, who ate both pieces of candy out of the Advent calendar instead of sharing, who won't stop mimicking their sibling as we're reading out of the scriptures. Some days even Mommy has mortified herself by screaming at everyone to stop it and just sit down and listen already.

Even yesterday, as we attempted to make dog treats and bird food, one child was mad because he wanted to go to his friend's house instead and thought that making bird feeders was too "crafty" for his taste. Mom got some very disappointing news on the telephone and spent half the time upstairs in her room crying, and the other half yelling at the kids who were fighting and arguing, the three-year-old who thought it was funny to rip the beautiful paper stars off of the window, and the 7-year-old who would rather be with friends than family. (And honestly, at that moment, who could blame him?)

But hey, at least the dog liked the biscuits, right?

It's been a really rough week, for reasons that I don't wish to share at this time, reasons that have nothing to do with the normal harriedness of life with kids. But between the big reasons and the many, pressing small reasons, I keep thinking of the need to remember what Christmas is all about. Christmas carols, beautiful Nativities, making gingerbread, and looking at lights are all wonderful. Attempting to teach my children about that Baby Jesus is important and inspiring. But maybe, just maybe, Christmas time is the time to remember why that little Baby really came into this world, which, of course, was to help us with our hardest times. To help through the endless tantrums, the incessant sibling rivalries, the never-ending sleepless nights, and the fun activities that don't turn out to be quite so fun. And to help us through the bigger, deeper hurts and disappointments of life. So maybe--just maybe--our imperfect Advents and Christmases can propel us toward greater understanding, testimony, and healing than we ever thought possible.

I hope! Oh, how I hope!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

One Fish said…
Thanks I needed that last paragraph.
Carrie said…
*Hugs*! You are doing an amazing job Lisa!