Early evening phone calls

Tonight's sunset viewed from our driveway.

About 6:30 this evening, our phone rang. A quick glance at the caller ID showed that it was an LDS Church number, from outside our area code. I have a special radar for these kinds of calls, and I knew immediately that the call was from LDS Family Services. Hmmm, a call from LDS Family Services after hours? That kind of sets one's emotions on edge.

You all know that one of my not-so-secret fears about our next adoption is getting a short notice baby. I've told myself that at least if we get a call to come pick up a baby in, say, an hour... or two days... that at least it won't happen in the middle of a funeral this time.

So all I could think in the split second between recognizing the number and waiting for the female voice on the other end to say, "Hello, is Brother G. there?" was Oh my goodness, what if they're calling to tell me they have a new baby waiting for us and Dallin goes in for his tracheoscopy/bronchoscopy in the morning??? How on earth are we going to manage that??? Wouldn't it be just our luck to get a baby at such a moment as this???

Well, it wasn't anything like that. Our caseworker just wanted to talk to James for the little interim check-in that she had with me at least a month ago, but apparently had put off with James.

And yeah, I was a tad bit bummed. But not too much.

Being an expectant mom? Yeah, not working quite as well as I'd hoped. I'm just too dang busy! I've had to limit myself to one project during this "pregnancy", and that is making cloth diapers. Well, I've had a huge stack of fabric sitting in my family room, being moved from one couch to the other to the rocking chair depending on who wants to sit where. And I haven't done anything with it. I keep it out in the family room because I'm afraid if I put all those supplies away out of sight, I'll never get around to doing anything with them.

I keep getting calls for organ lessons. I'm up to five students now, with a potential for quite the influx after I go do a Q&A session/mini recital in a few weeks with the stake organ class one of my students is teaching. Her words: "I'm hoping to get these people to take private lessons from you!" My thoughts: "Now?" Where were all these students 8 and 9 years ago when I had no children and was begging for something to fill my time? Now I'm looking at potential new baby in the next while, potentially inducing lactation, potentially (hopefully?) moving in the next while, and now seriously considering homeschooling my children, and NOW I start getting calls for organ students??? The thing is, I can't say no to organ students. This is what I've always wanted. And who else is going to teach them? So I guess I'll figure it out.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

One Fish said…
I stopped breathing during the beginning of your post. How did you not freak out?
Linnea said…
This post was a roller coaster for even me! You should know that if something like that happens Vince and I are here and I will cancel whatever I have to and get whoever I need to help my kids to be there for your family!!! So next time just be excited and then call me and I'll figure it out!
Lisa said…
Ha ha, I knew it would get a few people!
Carrie said…
Lisa! You freaked me out like everyone else! I need to read your blog more often because it is crazy good. I just keep forgetting to put it in my RSS feed.