I haven't been wanting to post an update on Dallin's "surgery" because yesterday was such a rotten day. The procedure went just fine (and I found out it's actually called a laryngoscopy). The aftermath could only be described using words I can't say on a family blog.
The doctor was looking for a web of flesh in his larynx that might be obstructing his airway and causing croupy buildup whenever he gets sick. They didn't find a web, but they did find that at the base of the larynx (I hope I'm getting all the right body parts here--laryx, trachea, I'm not sure what's what)... anyway, at the base of whatever, he has soft cartilage where it should be hard and firm. That soft cartilage collapses; it just can't support whatever is going on when he's sick and has gunk and build-up down there. This is something he will grow out of over time, though he is already later than most kids in the growing-out process.
Dallin is quite disappointed because now he thinks he is going to be getting croup again. And he just well might, but now we know that in the case of any cold or flu, we'll be consulting with his ENT right from the beginning, before he gets to the point of being croupy.
He slept for almost 1.5 hours after surgery and still had to be awakened by the staff. I think they should have let him sleep until he was really ready to wake up, because the rest of the day was totally and completely awful, and I think at least part of it was the fact that he was awakened too soon. Let's just say that he was in a very, very, very, very, VERY BAD mood. At first it was because he was still coming off the anesthesia drugs. He was not only exceptionally cranky but also really out of it. (It's kind of funny to see a kid begging to go out and ride his bike when he can't even stand up without help.) After that wore off, I don't know what it was all about. Maybe just being really tired and somewhat physically and emotionally traumatized by the whole day, even though he handled the actual prep and surgery extremely well... I don't know, but I don't want to have to relive it ever again.
That's all the details I'm going to give, because I want to keep this blog for future family reminiscing, and I'm sure neither he nor I want to reminisce any more about yesterday.
The doctor was looking for a web of flesh in his larynx that might be obstructing his airway and causing croupy buildup whenever he gets sick. They didn't find a web, but they did find that at the base of the larynx (I hope I'm getting all the right body parts here--laryx, trachea, I'm not sure what's what)... anyway, at the base of whatever, he has soft cartilage where it should be hard and firm. That soft cartilage collapses; it just can't support whatever is going on when he's sick and has gunk and build-up down there. This is something he will grow out of over time, though he is already later than most kids in the growing-out process.
Dallin is quite disappointed because now he thinks he is going to be getting croup again. And he just well might, but now we know that in the case of any cold or flu, we'll be consulting with his ENT right from the beginning, before he gets to the point of being croupy.
He slept for almost 1.5 hours after surgery and still had to be awakened by the staff. I think they should have let him sleep until he was really ready to wake up, because the rest of the day was totally and completely awful, and I think at least part of it was the fact that he was awakened too soon. Let's just say that he was in a very, very, very, very, VERY BAD mood. At first it was because he was still coming off the anesthesia drugs. He was not only exceptionally cranky but also really out of it. (It's kind of funny to see a kid begging to go out and ride his bike when he can't even stand up without help.) After that wore off, I don't know what it was all about. Maybe just being really tired and somewhat physically and emotionally traumatized by the whole day, even though he handled the actual prep and surgery extremely well... I don't know, but I don't want to have to relive it ever again.
That's all the details I'm going to give, because I want to keep this blog for future family reminiscing, and I'm sure neither he nor I want to reminisce any more about yesterday.
Comments