It seems like our mornings have been getting more and more stressful lately, and there have been several times that Dallin has done little more than grab two bites of oatmeal on his way out the door, trying to beat the bell. A few times his tardiness has been caused by waking up too late (not just him, but all of us). But today, it was all Mom's fault.
Why? Because Mom read something recently about how sending your children off to school without morning prayer is like sending them off to school without a coat in the winter. And so Mom made everyone sit still for three minutes at the breakfast table while she said a nice, heartfelt prayer for the day.
Dallin (practically growling): Mom, what a waste! I'm late to school, and you are wasting time!
Mom (innocently): How am I wasting time?
Dallin: Because you said such a long prayer, I'm going to be late to school!
Mom: Hmmm, so your being late to school is because I chose to say a 3-minute prayer? And it has nothing to do with the fact that you just spent 15 minutes sitting on the stairs?
Dallin: But I was getting dressed.
Mom (laughingly): Yeah, it takes 15 minutes to put on a pair of socks and a pair of shoes.
Seriously, he spent 15 minutes putting on shoes and socks. I know this because I actually decided to time him. I decided to time him when I noticed that he held the same lone sock in his hand for at least 5 minutes, and that sock did not come even an inch closer to his foot.
But his being late to school was all my fault. As usual.
Why? Because Mom read something recently about how sending your children off to school without morning prayer is like sending them off to school without a coat in the winter. And so Mom made everyone sit still for three minutes at the breakfast table while she said a nice, heartfelt prayer for the day.
Dallin (practically growling): Mom, what a waste! I'm late to school, and you are wasting time!
Mom (innocently): How am I wasting time?
Dallin: Because you said such a long prayer, I'm going to be late to school!
Mom: Hmmm, so your being late to school is because I chose to say a 3-minute prayer? And it has nothing to do with the fact that you just spent 15 minutes sitting on the stairs?
Dallin: But I was getting dressed.
Mom (laughingly): Yeah, it takes 15 minutes to put on a pair of socks and a pair of shoes.
Seriously, he spent 15 minutes putting on shoes and socks. I know this because I actually decided to time him. I decided to time him when I noticed that he held the same lone sock in his hand for at least 5 minutes, and that sock did not come even an inch closer to his foot.
But his being late to school was all my fault. As usual.
Comments