When the ideal and the reality actually match

I've been feeling very "crunchy" lately, and I've been wanting to share that with my kids. So we've baked bread (and ground our own wheat). We shelled peanuts and made our own peanut butter. Then I had the grandest of all grand visions--a few weeks ago I got the brilliant idea that we should go pick apples and make our own applesauce. Well, the applesauce part hasn't happened yet (that's next week), but today we got the picking done, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.

When I was a kid, we had to go pick fruit, and we hated it. I have memories of being out there for hours and hours in blistering sun, then having to spend hours and hours in the kitchen helping my mom can everything. Well, today, we spent less than an hour picking 98 pounds of apples, and the kids LOVED it. They had so much fun!



Now we'll see if the applesauce-making part is as much fun as the picking part...
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Stacy said…
So where did you go to get your apples? After making apple butter this week, I need more apples! Let me know if you want the apple butter recipe- it turned out amazing!
Lisa said…
Heh heh, I was wondering where YOU went! We went to Farnsworth Farms in Sandy. It was the closest place. I can't remember the address, but you could google it. I know it's on 7th East. It's a very small orchard, and they only have golden delicious. The apples aren't stellar-looking, but we figure we won't be using the skins anyway. I paid 75 cents a pound, and I have no idea if that was a good price or not, lol! I might try apple butter if we have apples left after applesauce.
Nemmer said…
When I'm finished canning and processing all the apples I can stand, you are both welcome to come raid my trees. I didn't spray anything this year (I usually do a little bit of organic stuff, at least), so there are a few buggy spots. But they're not hard to cut out, and the apples are really yummy!
One Fish said…
Glad you guys had a good time! Thanks for coming to visit us.
Carrie said…
I am doing applesauce this week too! We pay .75/lb. if we buy more than 20 lbs. but less if we buy more than 50, I think? I haven't bought the apples yet, but I did peaches last week from the same orchard.

What kind of recipe are you doing? I am looking for a good, no sugar added recipe.
Lisa said…
I'm just using the no-sugar recipe in the Ball canning and preserving book. I think it's called the "blue book". I can email it to you if you want.

My mom said that golden delicious apples work well for no-sugar applesauce because they're pretty sweet.