Apple heaven?

The next two weeks at our house, the theme is Apples. We're telling stories about apples, painting apples, reciting nursery rhymes about apples, picking apples, and making things with apples. Yesterday was applesauce day. Of course, things didn't go according to plan. I had 98 pounds of apples and hoped to make 4 dozen quarts of applesauce, with my mom to help me since I haven't canned applesauce in pretty much forever. Well, come to find out that virtually all the apples were not ripe enough to use yet. They looked so much riper in the sun at the orchard! They'll ripen, but that means that the bulk of the applesauce-making will have to happen in a week or so, and of course Grandma won't be here. So we got out all the equipment and did all that work, only to get six quarts of applesauce.

It's not the end of the world, of course, because we will be able to do it again when the apples get ripe. But now I have to get jazzed up to do it again. Because I can't waste the other 85 pounds-or-so of apples that are now sitting in my house.

Of course the kids had to make the obligatory comments about how the apple "waste" looked like poop coming out of the machine.

Grandma reminded me that when we were kids helping her, turning the crank was our job. I think my kids enjoyed it because they only had to do it for a few minutes, and it was all of their own free will and choice.

My six quarts of applesauce (and all the empty jars that should have been full....) It tasted great, though! The kids pronounced it more than edible!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Stacy said…
Cool! My parents have tons of apple trees growing, and I'm headed over there to harvest soon. Since no one likes apple butter but me and Max, my next project is applesauce. I remember using the crank as a kid too!
Nemmer said…
My MIL has a juicer like that. We borrow it to do tomato juice. DH remembers turning the crank when he was little and my Kiddo J loved that job when we did it this season.

For my applesauce, though, I just cut them with my apple corer/slicer/peeler that I got a couple years ago, and slightly cook the slices before putting them in the blender with a little water. I wonder if you have less waste doing it with the juicer?

I'm going to be going apple crazy the next couple weeks too, with several bushels of apples on my trees. :)
Lisa said…
See, I don't have anything else to peel and core them. The juicer does that part--I can't imagine peeling and coring them by hand. We cut up the apples, put them in huge pots, and cooked them with a bit of water until they were so soft that the skins were starting to fall off. Then we ran them through the machine.
Nemmer said…
Ah, I see. Hope I wasn't offensive -- just never imagined using the juicer to do apples. :)
Carrie said…
We had the same problem that our apples weren't quite ripe, but we did them anyway. The sauce was a bit tart, but I didn't add any sugar. I love it! I think I got 13 quarts out of 50lbs of apples.

Have you tried dehydrating apple slices in your oven and making apple chips? So fun! Even easier if you have a dehydrator!