Announcing the arrival of....

Zoey!

Zoey, a 2-year-old, house-trained, non-shedding Schnauzer mix, joined our family this afternoon. You can tell which members of the family are ecstatic about the new addition. One person in the family is still coming to acceptance of the idea that we are dog owners. Luckily, this acceptance is being hastened along by the fact that Zoey is an extremely sweet and gentle dog. She's been here four hours and we have yet to hear her bark.



I think that not only am I the least excited person in our family, I'm also the least excited person in the universe. (Well, maybe that's an exaggeration.) I got initiated into the world of animal lovers this afternoon after being asked by a Petsmart employee if I was "Zoey's mom". I was also shocked at the interest that so many fellow pet owners--complete strangers who happened to be at the store while we were there--had in the fact that we were taking this doggie home. Virtually everyone around us was totally thrilled for us and for Zoey, FAR more thrilled than I was, and I was the one taking her home. Seriously, you would have thought we were adopting another BABY, rather than a dog. And I think that's where I differ from these people, because in their minds, a dog IS a baby, and in my mind, a dog is a dog.

But she's here to stay, and I'm glad. It's been fun to see the pure joy on the faces of not only my kids, but my husband as well. They are ALL on cloud nine!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

One Fish said…
I hate to break it to you but the dog is a baby- or nearly as much work sometimes. He will grow on you though. Every kid needs a dog. Don't take him to petsmart though. My vet said it's the best way for them to catch an illness from all of the dogs who haven't had their shots or proper care. (She told me this right after we had taken Lautrec shopping for his first batch of stuff.)
Nemmer said…
Awww, she's adorable! Non-shedding is a great thing, and a kind and gentle dog sounds perfect. It really is true, for a dog-lover, they really are practically a baby. I consider our dog a family member. Now, of course I know intellectually that she isn't the same as a human child, but the emotions I feel for her are pretty darn close to what I feel for my kids. LOL! My hubby, on the other hand, is more like you. He only considers her part of the family because he knows how attached the kids and I are to her. :)
Linnea said…
Zoey is so adorable I think I want one--JK. She's the perfect addition to your family!!
Lisa said…
I think Zoey will be more adorable after she goes to get a haircut and bath, lol!

She still has not barked. Not only has she not barked, she has not made any noise whatsover, not a whine, not a growl, nothing. I'm actually a bit concerned. We're going to take her to the vet anyway this week, so hopefully we'll get some answers on that one.

One Fish, the only reason we had her at Petsmart was because that's where we adopted her from... but thanks for the heads up, because I wouldn't have had a clue.
Anonymous said…
That really is a cute dog- the perfect size, in my opinion! My kids would go nuts over a dog. I think we will get one eventually, just because they would love it so, so much. I am a little more resistant, but would still like it, but dh is pretty opposed to getting one. I guess we will see! What prompted you to take the plunge?
Lisa said…
James has wanted a dog for years, but what triggered this is that Dallin wanted one for his birthday and asked for several months. I think James had as much fun with the search as Dallin did getting the dog.
Carrie said…
What a sweet pup! Where can I get one?