Progress in the garden

Tending a garden is so fun, I'm sad we didn't do it years ago! I now have tiny ears of corn, one little cucumber, a few teensy miniature pumpkins, a lone baby butternut squash, two small green tomatoes (not sure why they're so late coming on), and one bitsy little summer squash.

Oh, and lots and lots of zucchini! Our first official pickings! Sariah calls it "buh-kini".

Dallin thinks all the zucchini is for making bread, but tonight I figured we'd better do something healthy with it. I sauteed it in butter with corn and onion powder, then right as it was getting done, topped it with grated Monterey Jack cheese. It was SO good! I am actually not a fan of zucchini, but this was divine. They are right that it really is better fresh (and organic!) out of your very own garden.

It's still a learning process. After I actually bought and read the Square Foot Gardening book, I found out I'd done a lot of things not exactly right. Next year will be much better! The pepper plants are small and shrivelly, though there is one pepper trying hard to grow. My big pumpkin just up and died, I'm not sure why. But so far our first garden has been going better than I could have ever asked for!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Carrie said…
I totally get your enthusiasm. I love my garden! We are getting tons of zucchini and cucumbers and our tomato plants are loaded, but we have yet to harvest (they are really late this year!). I had to fight off a Japanese beetle invasion on the green beans so those are late too. Come fall we are going to have TONS of winter squash!
Lisa said…
We will have winter squash too if Sariah doesn't stop picking it!