I had this goal that we'd spend one day a week during the summer in the wild. One month into summer vacation, and we finally had our first hike today!
Part of it was that I wanted to make these cute bags for each of us. They are made out of old pairs of jeans! I would have had them finished 3 weeks ago if I hadn't had the bright idea to put cute little pockets on the outsides, which had to be sewn on by hand since the bags were made from the legs of the jeans, and there was no way to turn the fabric around in the machine. Then I thought it would be fun to embroider each person's name on their bag. The original idea, however, is so easy and so fast. I highly recommend it! Here is the link to the instructions: http://www.whiteoakschool.com/camp-creek-blog/2008/4/12/make-a-field-bag-from-recycled-clothing.html . The kids have watched the bags' progression with great interest, and they were thrilled when I finally got them done.
Inside the bags, we put sketch books for each child, pencils, and erasers. In my bag, I also carried a block crayon to do rubbings, small pieces of thin paper to rub on, and a black stamp pad to make prints of leaves. Another time, we'll also try taking watercolor paints. The idea was that we'd not just hike, but we'd sit down and record what we saw.
No excursion into the woods would be complete without the requisite stick collection! (And of course, they all came home with us too...)

Here's Dallin dutifully drawing a leaf. I love the tongue--that's his typical pose when he's working hard! When we got home, I asked him to write something about it, so he wrote the obvious: "This is a leaf." While Dallin drew his leaf, I kept Sariah from running off and getting lost in the wilderness.
See the cool mushroom? Yeah, about two seconds later, Dallin kicked the cool mushroom into oblivion. (After being told 3 times NOT to kick the mushroom.)
Leaf rubbings.
Heading back.
Inside the bags, we put sketch books for each child, pencils, and erasers. In my bag, I also carried a block crayon to do rubbings, small pieces of thin paper to rub on, and a black stamp pad to make prints of leaves. Another time, we'll also try taking watercolor paints. The idea was that we'd not just hike, but we'd sit down and record what we saw.
I'm not sure we'll make it every week. (Can we say "overachiever" Mom???) But we'll be back sometime!
Comments
we will have to do this before our summer is over! we only have5 more weeks until school starts! :(