So, I have two helpful tips to share. One is a great idea for snack time, the other is the chore chart I mentioned awhile back that someone asked me to describe.
All-Day-Long Snack Plate:
All-Day-Long Snack Plate:
I read this on another blog, and it sounded like it would work for us. I've been waiting for summer vacation to try it out! I hate the constant cries of "Mom, I'm hungry!" and then the going-round-and-round about what they do or don't want to have for snacks. And then the repeating it all 30 minutes later. The blog I read suggested simply making up one large platter in the morning and stocking it with crackers, several kinds of cheese, several kinds of fruit, raw nuts, and whatever other healthy options you can think of. The tray can be put in and out of the fridge easily. Whenever the kids are hungry, you just direct them to the snack plate. Today was our first day of doing this, and my kids loved it! I made up the plate right after breakfast, and whenever they asked for something to eat, that is what I offered. Dallin wanted to know if he was ever allowed to eat snacks that weren't on the plate. I said yes, but the point was that I wasn't going to prepare other snacks. He'd have to get it himself, just like dinner. I found that I also ate healthier snacks when I just nibbled from the tray instead of reaching for junk food. It was easy to get in and out of the fridge, and we could leave it on the table for awhile while people grazed. I think the nice presentation really helps these healthy snacks look more tempting! I doused the apples with lots of lemon juice, and they made it most of the day without going brown.
Really Cool Chore Chart:
A woman in my ward showed how to set up this chore chart at one of our Enrichment Nights. Each child has certain things that have to be done every day. My chart includes making the bed, daily chore, laundry, and "zones". (Zones basically refers to the nightly pick-up. Right before bedtime, everybody goes through every room in the house and picks up anything that belongs to them and puts it away.) My friend also had spaces for homework, daily reading, and piano. Each child has cool little magnets that represent them. Dallin's are basketballs, Sariah's are butterflies. I got these painted wood cut-outs at a craft store and just glued magnets to the back. When they accomplish each of their tasks for the day, they get to move the magnet up to the top section on the row by their picture.
Each child has one chore to do every day. They both rotate between the same four chores, the difference is that Sariah gets help and Dallin doesn't (or at least he doesn't get as much). One chore is done twice each week, and that is setting and clearing the table. So between the two of them, they will set/clear the table four times a week. The other chores are vacuuming, taking out the garbage, and quick-cleaning our downstairs 1/2 bath. So each of those chores will be done twice a week, once by Dallin and once by Sariah. Of course we all know that on Sariah's turn, it's basically going to be Mommy doing it, but that's OK, she'll be getting the idea. You can think of whatever chores would help you the most....my friend wanted her kids to dust. She has three kids, and her living room gets dusted three times a week. I just made the coolest all-natural cleaner, so now I feel safe letting my kids clean the bathroom without worrying about any chemicals.
I have a list posted that details each chore and exactly what is expected for it to be completed. Laundry doesn't happen every day, but it just means that on the days when I've washed and folded laundry, they are expected to take it up to their rooms and put it away.
My friend does it so that every time they get to move one of their magnets, they earn a marble, which is then put in a jar. When the jar gets so many marbles, the whole family earns a previously agree upon treat or outing. We will do that too, I just have to find marbles.
The last thing on there is an envelope that I've labeled the "Money Pocket". Inside the envelope are slips of paper with extras chores written on them, and how much those chores pay. If Dallin wants spending money, he can pick a chore and do it. I have things like, "Wash windows. 25 cents per window" and "Pull weeds. 50 cents per 15 minutes." I just went around the house and thought of every little thing I could.
I haven't started my chore system yet... I just finished the chart today. So we'll see how it goes. But my friend says that her family has kept it going for over a year, and it's by far the most successful system she's ever had.

Comments