You know you've done it right when your child is saying the dinnertime prayer and tells Heavenly Father, "Thank you for a wonderful day!"
I've been wanting for some time to take the kids to Old Deseret Village http://www.thisistheplace.org/deseretvillage/deseretvillage.html , a living history village on the edge of Salt Lake City. We went years ago, and it seems that whenever I think about going back, it's in the middle of July and 100 degrees outside. So far this summer, it's been raining and raining. It finally cleared up this week, and we decided to hit the road before it got too hot (though it was still hot!).
Anyway, I highly recommend this for anyone with kids living in Utah! I posted tons of pictures because I couldn't choose the funnest memories!
Dallin and Sariah playing checkers at the Shaving Emporium.
Dallin getting a shave at the Shaving Emporium.
The kids get to practice doing pioneer chores. Dallin loved beating rugs, and Sariah was bummed that she was a bit too small for the job.
It was hot, as you can see from her face! She's just finished hanging wet clothes up to dry.
And they both got to wash clothes.
Dallin playing with a pioneer children's game. Lots of the workers there (don't know if they're paid or volunteer) are mothers with children. And they bring their children, who all dress up in pioneer garb. So there are all these adorable little kids running around in britches and bloomers and sunbonnets, looking just like real pioneer children, except for their shoes. I think that would be so much fun!
Sariah using her slate in the schoolhouse.
Dallin loved trying on the dunce cap, and he had no clue that it was anything shameful or embarrassing. He just thought it was funny.
Sariah talked all day long about her pony ride. She wanted to ride the little horse, but the lady said she should ride the big one because it was gentler. However, that lady left, and she ended up on the small horse which was just fine. But she spsent the rest of the afternoon talking about how the small horse was scary. Doesn't look scary here!
I've been wanting for some time to take the kids to Old Deseret Village http://www.thisistheplace.org/deseretvillage/deseretvillage.html , a living history village on the edge of Salt Lake City. We went years ago, and it seems that whenever I think about going back, it's in the middle of July and 100 degrees outside. So far this summer, it's been raining and raining. It finally cleared up this week, and we decided to hit the road before it got too hot (though it was still hot!).
Anyway, I highly recommend this for anyone with kids living in Utah! I posted tons of pictures because I couldn't choose the funnest memories!
They also got to ride on a big train and a small one, got to make arrowhead necklaces at the Native American village, got to try their hand at woodworking, loved checking out the straw tick mattresses and chamber pots in the pioneer houses, saw baby goats nursing, ate ice cream, and got to pick out their own old-fashioned toys in the gift shop.
It was a wonderful day!
Comments