Dallin and I have been re-reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle the past few nights. For anyone who may not be familiar with Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, you're really missing out! I remember these books fondly from my childhood. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is a funny old lady who loves little kids and knows exactly how to relate to them. All the parents in town call her up and ask her advice in solving their children's behavior problems. Her unique cures always work!
Two nights ago, we read "The Won't Pick Up Toys Cure", about a little boy who would never clean up his room. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle tells his Mom to simply stop nagging about it, and after a few days his room is so messy he can't get out of it. Well, Dallin was quite impressed. He told me that night that he wanted to try that trick. I didn't think too much of it until the next day when he was leaving for school, and he said casually, "Hey Mom, I did to my room what the boy in Mrs. Piggle Wiggle did to his room." After he left, I went upstairs to check and lo-and-behold, he had TRASHED his bedroom. And I do mean TRASHED. He had even taken all the clothes out of his drawers and thrown them all over the floor. Unfortunately for him, his Mommy wasn't content to wait for the cure to work, and the second he got home from school, he was informed that there would be no TV, friends, or anything else until the disaster was cleaned up. After much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, and many moans and cries about the unfairness of life, he got the room cleaned in time to watch the last 5 minutes of his favorite show, Jacob Two Two.
Well, that night we read chapter two, "The Answer-backer Cure". This story was about a little girl who had problem with sassing her parents. Once again, Dallin was more intrigued with the crime than with the solution for it. One favorite line of his from the book was this: "I'll do it because I want to, and not because you tell me to!", uttered, of course, in the sassiest voice imagineable. Dallin, however, got a few of the words mixed up. This is what he went around all day repeating:
"I'll do it because you want me to, and not because you tell me to!"
Yeah, I don't think I'll clue him in on that one. I think I'll just keep my chuckling all to myself.
Two nights ago, we read "The Won't Pick Up Toys Cure", about a little boy who would never clean up his room. Mrs. Piggle Wiggle tells his Mom to simply stop nagging about it, and after a few days his room is so messy he can't get out of it. Well, Dallin was quite impressed. He told me that night that he wanted to try that trick. I didn't think too much of it until the next day when he was leaving for school, and he said casually, "Hey Mom, I did to my room what the boy in Mrs. Piggle Wiggle did to his room." After he left, I went upstairs to check and lo-and-behold, he had TRASHED his bedroom. And I do mean TRASHED. He had even taken all the clothes out of his drawers and thrown them all over the floor. Unfortunately for him, his Mommy wasn't content to wait for the cure to work, and the second he got home from school, he was informed that there would be no TV, friends, or anything else until the disaster was cleaned up. After much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, and many moans and cries about the unfairness of life, he got the room cleaned in time to watch the last 5 minutes of his favorite show, Jacob Two Two.
Well, that night we read chapter two, "The Answer-backer Cure". This story was about a little girl who had problem with sassing her parents. Once again, Dallin was more intrigued with the crime than with the solution for it. One favorite line of his from the book was this: "I'll do it because I want to, and not because you tell me to!", uttered, of course, in the sassiest voice imagineable. Dallin, however, got a few of the words mixed up. This is what he went around all day repeating:
"I'll do it because you want me to, and not because you tell me to!"
Yeah, I don't think I'll clue him in on that one. I think I'll just keep my chuckling all to myself.
Comments