We had a fun afternoon! Some state government agency (sorry, I can't keep track of my state agencies) sponsored a free open house for Utah Prehistory Week. They had demonstrations and activities to teach kids about the lifestyles of ancient peoples.
The kids has such a great time! We got to make rock art, twig animal figures, and bead necklaces; be archeologists and dog for pottery shards and arrow heads, grind corn, spin wool into yarn, paint fossils, get our faces painted, throw spears, and more.
And it was all free!
Sariah had several people comment on how cute she was. She loves painting, so doing her trilobyte was a big hit.The kids has such a great time! We got to make rock art, twig animal figures, and bead necklaces; be archeologists and dog for pottery shards and arrow heads, grind corn, spin wool into yarn, paint fossils, get our faces painted, throw spears, and more.
And it was all free!
Dallin had fun making rock art. This is so easy, I think we will do it during the summer. It's just a plaster-of-paris disk, painted brown to look like a rock. Then the kids make the heiroglyphics by scratching through the paint with a nail. They had Indian designs for them to copy.
Both Dallin and Sariah enjoyed grinding corn, especially Sariah--she did it twice. I've decided I need a metate and mano at home. I seriously think it would keep them occupied for a good long time!
Dallin attempting to throw a spear. It's actually quite difficult, and none of the younger kids really got the hang of it.

Comments