A rule is a rule is a rule

I'm a very rulebound person. If the grocery ad says "Limit 2 per customer", you can be assured that I will NOT sneak back to the store to get more than the limit. If the hospital rule says that visiting hours are over at 8:00 pm, and it's now 8:10, you can bet that if I'm still in that room visiting someone, I'm sweating with worry that I might get in trouble.

But I just broke a rule, and it feels good! I just bought a two-piece bathing suit. Yeah, I've grown up my entire life with the rule "NO two-piece bathing suits". But the past few years, a number of friends have told me that they've tried the new tankinis and found them to fit better and actually be more modest than the traditional one-piece suit. Still, I had that rule in the back of my head. "Two-piece bathing suit = BAD!"

I was in desperate need of a swim suit this year (thanks to a metabolism that seems to be slowing WAY down as I head toward middle age). I walked into a local store and found that they had about four racks of tankinis and one rack of very ugly, very expensive ($80!!!!) one-piece bathing suits. So I decided to try on a couple of tankinis. Guess what? My friends were right! The tankini I bought covers me far better than any one-piece I've ever had. The top comes down well below the waist of the bottom. And the bottom is more like a set of shorts, far more modest than the high cut legs of most one-piece suits. Many of the tankinis I saw had bottoms that were cute little skirts. Now, the challenge was finding a top that didn't have a plunging neckline... but I did it!

I am now the proud owner of a 2-piece bathing suit. And I don't feel the least bit guilty. Sometimes rules need to be thrown out in favor of principles.

Comments

One Fish said…
Scandalous! =-)