Tonight we're having a family portrait done. Yes, we had one just a couple of months ago, but there were problems with the resolution on the camera, and the photographer offered to redo them for free. So tonight's the night.
There's nothing quite like the stress of family photos. Indoor or outdoor? That one was easy-- springtime begs for outdoor pictures. What to wear? Ah,that's the question that sends me into a frenzy every time! Why? Because trying to figure out a color scheme and then come up with four color-coordinated outfits is a task not meant for the likes of people like little old me! It always involves money that I shouldn't be spending and a trip to the nearest shopping mall.
I knew right away that we needed to co casual. The last portrait was Sunday best, and this one is going on our adoption profile. I don't want us to look stiff and formal to the woman who just might choose us to be the family for her unborn baby. Plus, Dallin was adamant that he didn't want to wear Sunday clothes again, and I wasn't up for the inevitable fight that would ensue if I tried to push my luck.
I've been browsing lots of online profiles as I'm in the process of preparing ours. There is a definite difference between those who took the time to coordinate their outfits and hire a professional photographer and those who didn't. I'm determined NOT to be in the latter category.
So coordinating time... I looked through all of our clothes, and there simply was not a scheme that would work right from our closets. (There never is. What else is new?) A few weeks ago, shopping The Children's Place online clearance sale, I saw a royal blue T-shirt for Dallin and realized that Sariah had a royal blue sundress that might match it. So I ordered it, only to discover that they were not the same shades of royal blue and would clash horribly if put together in the same photo. Luckily, I had also ordered a red striped T-shirt, and Sariah has some red-checked shorts and a white top. So we could go with red and white. I have white capris. It would just mean that I would need a red shirt, Dallin would need shorts (I'm not letting him have his picture taken with holes in the knees!), and James would need something. I was still longing for Sariah's adorable blue dress and was also prepared to get new shirts for me, Dallin, and James if need be to feed that color combo.
Thank goodness for Park City and outlet malls! Four hours and $45 later, we are outfitted. And red-and-white won!
Now we just have to get through the actual photo shoot. Yeah, that's the second half of this craziness. Two parents and one photographer, and we'll still be lucky to keep two kids focused long enough to get at least one decent family picture.
There's nothing quite like the stress of family photos. Indoor or outdoor? That one was easy-- springtime begs for outdoor pictures. What to wear? Ah,that's the question that sends me into a frenzy every time! Why? Because trying to figure out a color scheme and then come up with four color-coordinated outfits is a task not meant for the likes of people like little old me! It always involves money that I shouldn't be spending and a trip to the nearest shopping mall.
I knew right away that we needed to co casual. The last portrait was Sunday best, and this one is going on our adoption profile. I don't want us to look stiff and formal to the woman who just might choose us to be the family for her unborn baby. Plus, Dallin was adamant that he didn't want to wear Sunday clothes again, and I wasn't up for the inevitable fight that would ensue if I tried to push my luck.
I've been browsing lots of online profiles as I'm in the process of preparing ours. There is a definite difference between those who took the time to coordinate their outfits and hire a professional photographer and those who didn't. I'm determined NOT to be in the latter category.
So coordinating time... I looked through all of our clothes, and there simply was not a scheme that would work right from our closets. (There never is. What else is new?) A few weeks ago, shopping The Children's Place online clearance sale, I saw a royal blue T-shirt for Dallin and realized that Sariah had a royal blue sundress that might match it. So I ordered it, only to discover that they were not the same shades of royal blue and would clash horribly if put together in the same photo. Luckily, I had also ordered a red striped T-shirt, and Sariah has some red-checked shorts and a white top. So we could go with red and white. I have white capris. It would just mean that I would need a red shirt, Dallin would need shorts (I'm not letting him have his picture taken with holes in the knees!), and James would need something. I was still longing for Sariah's adorable blue dress and was also prepared to get new shirts for me, Dallin, and James if need be to feed that color combo.
Thank goodness for Park City and outlet malls! Four hours and $45 later, we are outfitted. And red-and-white won!
Now we just have to get through the actual photo shoot. Yeah, that's the second half of this craziness. Two parents and one photographer, and we'll still be lucky to keep two kids focused long enough to get at least one decent family picture.
Comments