I did it!!!

I completed my first heirloom seing project--Sariah's Easter dress is done! And it turned out so beautiful! She looks adorable in it, but I'm not going to post pictures until Easter day when she has her hair done.

It took quite a few hours to make, but actually not as long as I thought it would. I only made one major mistake, and that was that somehow in the back, one side ended up about half an inch longer than the other. I think when I sewed the buttons on, it somehow gathered up that fabric, shortening that side a tiny bit at a time. Oh well, it's too late to change it. Overall, the whole project went so much more smoothly than I ever thought it would. I will definitely be doing this again!


Yep, that's hand embroidery. The embroidery was one of the easiest parts, but again came my other mistake, and that is the despite how hard I tried to make it perfect, the embroidery is not exactly centered between the tucks. Another "oh well!" The lace at the bottom was a bit of a challenge, because it's connected to the dress with entredeux, which is kind of an insertion piece with all these tiny little holes in a line, and I had to sew the two together with a zig zag stitch, trying to get the threads right in the holes. The dress looks as good on the inside as it does on the outside, all the seams are encased, and any raw edges are zig-zagged to look finished.

I feel like a real seamstress now, instead of just a wannabe. I think it took this project to realize that I really like sewing, despite how much I've convinced myself that it's only for Molly Mormons, which, of course, I am not one!

Next projects: coming home outfits for the next baby (one for a boy, one for a girl, just in case) and cloth diapers.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

One Fish said…
Good job- it looks great!
Linnea said…
It's beautiful!! Great work!
Jen said…
WOW! I am very impressed...I can barely sew a pillowcase without having major problems so you are WAY ahead of me. Good job