Stop the Insanity! OR another vent about school fundraisers

It's time for our neighborhood elementary school's annual candy bar fundraiser. I'm not going to go into all the reasons why I hate school fundraising, because I did that already about this time last year. This time, I'm just going describe the absurdity of this particular fundraiser.

So Dallin came home from school the other day with the inevitable glossy-colored packet detailing the selling of candy bars for the oh-so-noble cause of supporting his school. He was so excited about the possibility, not of helping out the school, but of earning a prize. He begged me to fill out the forms as quickly as I could so that he could run the permission slip straight back to school and get his box of candy. (Speaking of prizes, what is up with elementary age kids having to sell fifty candy bars to even get the smallest, cheapest prize??? These kids come home with stars in their eyes over a goal that's ridiculously unattainable.)

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of mom who likes to put a damper on such gloriously exciting things as school candy bar fundraisers. I told him we'd have to talk to Daddy about it. I don't know why I didn't just hand him the bad news right away, but no, I had to let him get his hopes up that a conversation with Daddy would make everything A-OK.

He was excited to tell me that the school had said that these candy bars could go to work with parents, and that the parents could sell lots of candy bars there. That's where Dallin ran into his first snag. James' company has banned fundraising or the selling of anything at work. People end up bringing so much overpriced junk from their kids' schools that they either 1) don't get any work done because they are too busy selling stuff or 2) annoy the heck out of all the rest of their coworkers who get tired of being solicited for overpriced junk. So, selling candy at Daddy's work was out.

Daddy wanted to know if Dallin had a plan for how he would sell all this candy since it could not be taken to work. Dallin said he would go knock on doors. Unfortunately, not only was Mommy adamant that door-knocking would NOT be happening, but the school had also said that children should not go door-to-door selling the candy.

So, how on earth do they expect these kids to sell candy? Seriously! They don't want kids to go door to door. And many workplaces don't want the candy being sold there. Where are these kids supposed to sell this candy?

Well, in our neighborhood, the only option is to sell the candy to their friends. All of whom are already supposed to be selling candy of their own.

Dallin didn't get to sell candy this year. He was bummed, but he got over it quickly.

But every stinkin' kid in our neighborhood is selling candy. I know, because every single one of them has knocked on my door. At least it feels that way. I have already purchased five candy bars (at $1.00 apiece), and I have turned several kids down. Dallin found some money laying around and bought another four candy bars this afternoon, which he neglected to tell me about until he had eaten them. Or, I should say, he had eaten some of them. He decided he didn't like the caramel kind, took one or two bites, and threw the rest of the candy bar away. A $1.00 candy bar in the garbage. Oy! (As much as I would have complained about the dang school fundraiser, I would have eaten that candy bar and not let it rot in the garbage.)

Yesterday the doorbell rang, and it was our little neighbor girl selling candy bars. I bought two. Five minutes later, the bell rang again and it was her younger brother, with an entire box of candy bars. He was crushed to find out I had just purchased my daily limit from his sister. So today, yet another little brother in this family shows up at my door with a box of candy bars! Three siblings are trying to sell a total of 150 candy bars to the same neighbors. Oh my. And then this afternoon, I looked out the window and saw four little boys traipsing down the street, each with a huge box of candy bars waiting to be sold. Nothing like a little competition, eh?

Like I said, "Stop the insanity!"

Comments

the Villamor's said…
I also detest these fundraisers! I think they must have pep-rallies or something at school to get the kids fired up about selling. I too tell the kids there is no way we are selling this stuff. They can't go to the neighbors becuase they all are buying from their own kids!

I think the only thing worse would have to be in charge of coming up with all these fund-raisers!
Lisa said…
They do have pep rallies! Dallin has told me. Sometimes they even have professional fund-raising people come and do the pep rallies. They get the kids all excited about earning these prizes. But you have to sell unbelievable amounts of stuff to earn even the measliest prize.

Fundraising is a huge reason I have been avoiding getting involved in the PTA. I know I would feel obligated to sell things, and I refuse to sell things. I know there are other school who have come up with better ideas than selling stuff.
Jen said…
This makes me so happy that our school doesn't usually do selling things and when they do they don't ever do the prizes for the most sold. This year the one and only fundraiser they did was a carnival in October for the family and I LOVE that! It's one way I will support the school because we can enjoy time together as a family having fun and still help our school. I would suggest letting someone on PTA know your feelings. That's how ours got changed--it's helpful to have an alternative idea for fundraising (like our carnival). I'm sure you aren't the only parent feeling this way.
Laine said…
I like the way our school does it...you can donate directly to the school at the beginning of the year and then you get a sign to hang on your door that tells you have dontated - no soliciting (in a nice way)...and I have good reason to tell my kids no with everything they bring home.
Lisa said…
That is what we'd much rather do--just write out a check to the school. (Of course, when we suggested that to Dallin, he didn't think our idea was very cool. You don't win prizes for that, lol!)