I actually have a year's supply of something! Yeah, I was as shocked as anybody! Especially to find out that the thing I have a year's supply of is.... powdered milk. You read that right.
Actually, I discovered that I'm doing quite well in the food storage department. No, I don't quite have a year's supply of anything other than powdered milk. But I'm getting there!
I've spent the past week or so organizing my basement and taking inventory. (Actually, if you want to get technical, I spent two days, a week apart, doing this.) This isn't even all of it; I couldn't quite get my camera at the right angle to get pictures of the other wall of stuff, which holds most of my large buckets of wheat, oats, rice, etc..
It feels so good to look at this!
Actually, I discovered that I'm doing quite well in the food storage department. No, I don't quite have a year's supply of anything other than powdered milk. But I'm getting there!
I've spent the past week or so organizing my basement and taking inventory. (Actually, if you want to get technical, I spent two days, a week apart, doing this.) This isn't even all of it; I couldn't quite get my camera at the right angle to get pictures of the other wall of stuff, which holds most of my large buckets of wheat, oats, rice, etc..
It feels so good to look at this!
Ooh, ooh, ooh! I just looked at my inventory sheet and found out that I also have a year's supply of rice. That makes two things! And dried/canned beans. That makes three! And I'm really close on sugars. I've probably got over 6 months' worth of wheat. And 76 pounds of pasta, that's just shy of a year's supply for two people.
OK, I won't bore anybody with the rest.
I also discovered where my holes are. The biggie is water--The one thing I probably need to have in my storage more than anything else. I also don't have many oats, which is sad considering my kids love oatmeal. But now I know where to focus my energies.
I did it using the following website: www.dealstomeals.com . I LOVE this website! Not only do I get a printout of the best deals each week (for grocery stores in my area) and the amounts I need to have for my year's supply, but I also get a weekly menu made from what's on sale. This service costs me only $4.95/month. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Comments
The website dealstomeals has a downloadable tracking sheet that I'm going to try to use. I don't know how great I'll be at it. I don't see myself crossing off the list every time I open a ccan of something.
I also have been trying to figure out the inventory thing. The best thing I have come up with is to just write the exp date in a place that is somewhat easy to see, then I am just going to have to look at everything about every 6 months, and check to see what is about to expire and what I need to replace that we have used. I think writing down every time I take out something will be too much work, and I can't really think of anything else.