The joys of calling poison control

Yep, it was one of those days.

I was busily working on a project, feeling so proud of myself for doing something productive when I felt like vegging on the internet, when Sariah came into the room telling me that she had taken her medicine because she had a sick tummy. Now, Sariah is always talking about taking medicine, so I didn't think much of it until something told me to check further. At that point I discovered that she had eaten approximately 75 tablets of Hyland's Homeopathic Calms Forte 4 Kids sleep medicine. The chalky white evidence was all over her lips, and the almost-empty bottle told the rest of the story.

I knew, from having a relative's child eat Hyland's teething tablets a few years back, that homeopathic medicines are just about the safest thing a kid bent on eating medicine can eat. So I wasn't too worried, but I thought I should call poison control anyway just to be safe. Wouldn't you know it, the second someone picked up the line I started bawling. What is it about us moms, that we start crying even when we know nothing terribly bad is going to happen? I was so embarrassed, but the lady was really nice and confirmed that there would probably not be any kind of reaction on Sariah's part from her little escapade. She wanted to know how Sariah was feeling at the moment, and I told her that the child in question was running around like her normal happy, crazy self acting like nothing at all had happened.

After I got off the phone, Dallin wanted to know exactly what the person on the phone had told me. And then he popped off with this question: "Is she gonna calm down a little?" I guess he thought that eating 75 tablets of something called "Calms Forte" ought to make a person mellow out at least a little bit. (I am here to tell the world that it doesn't. Not one bit.)

Comments

Linnea said…
I find it refreshing that someone else has to call poison control because I've had to call......
well I'm not going to say how many times I've had to call. I always felt sick...as if I had consumed the stuff. So if this stuff doesn't calm her down are you going to have them anymore?
Lisa said…
I think it does calm, but it's mean to be used in very small doses. I think that taking too much could actually negate the remedy. I used it one night when she was having a really difficult time settling back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night, and I felt it did help her relax. I'm a little ticked that she decimated almost an entire bottle, that I had just barely bought, so I don't know if I can/will go right out and buy some more.