When I was an early childhood education major, the whole language approach to reading the writing was all the rage. We were taught how to respond to parents who might question different aspects of this teaching philosophy. One of the things that parents might criticize was the allowing of children to spell phonetically instead of learning how to spell words the "right" way. (In reality, children did learn to spell the "right" way, but were still encouraged to write on their own, making up spellings when they didn't know the correct ones.)
Anyway, Dallin came home from school the other day with this, and it made me think of those old days. I, personally, think that invented spelling is adorable!
My name is: Dallin
What are your initials? dG.
What color is your hair? brown.
What is your favorite pet? DOG. (the g was written backwards)
What is your favorite game/sport? SoKr
What is your favorite food? HAMGr
What is your favorite book/story? SNAXe (snakes)
How many brothers and sisters do you have? 1
I am unique because: becos I kLLi PlAYeo WiF Mi sistr (something about "playing with my sister, but I sure can't figure out the rest of it!)
Anyway, Dallin came home from school the other day with this, and it made me think of those old days. I, personally, think that invented spelling is adorable!
My name is: Dallin
What are your initials? dG.
What color is your hair? brown.
What is your favorite pet? DOG. (the g was written backwards)
What is your favorite game/sport? SoKr
What is your favorite food? HAMGr
What is your favorite book/story? SNAXe (snakes)
How many brothers and sisters do you have? 1
I am unique because: becos I kLLi PlAYeo WiF Mi sistr (something about "playing with my sister, but I sure can't figure out the rest of it!)
Comments