What's that line, "There's no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need any"?
We just finished up our Stake Primary leadership training meeting the other night. Being a Stake Primary music leader--who wants to inspire the ward music leaders to do creative and interesting things in singing time--means that preparing for these trainings involves huge amounts of time and effort. It's not just that I have have to prepare a motivational talk on my subject....I also have to come up with all kinds of activities and the visual aids that go with them so that I can model what I am trying to preach. My house looked like a war zone for several days with papers, pictures, and posters scattered all over the place.
But it's over, and we had five music leaders show up, which was a huge improvement over the one that showed up to our last training. (I solved the problem by making them all give short presentations at our meeting. Note: if you are in a calling that involves going to stake auxiliary trainings--PLEASE GO!-- so your stake leader doesn't have to assign you a reason to be there!)
Anyway, my mind has already been turning the month ahead, which is chock full of opportunities and obligations. I teach Relief Society in just over a week. We have a stake primary activity in February for which I have the assignment of teaching a song to 80+ Cub Scout aged boys. Translation: it has to be super-entertaining or it will flop. And just a few days prior to the primary activity, I am teaching a mini-class at our annual stake Relief Society conference on the setting and achieving intellectual goals as part of the Pursuit of Excellence Program. (I didn't tell them that I have never done--and never plan to do--Pursuit of Excellence.) And then I am scheduled to help with the planning and carrying out of Dallin's class Valentine's Day party, which falls during the same week.
I've already been going "ack!" We're still on the heels of the Christmas season, and I just want to put my proverbial feet up and rest for awhile!
So the phone rang this morning. I almost didn't answer it because it looked like a telemarketer's number. Maybe I should have just let it ring.
Your heart always skips a beat when you answer the phone, and it's the stake president. He spent some time chewing the fat and asking me how my Primary calling was going, while of course I could do nothing but think "Get on with it. I know you did not call me up just to find out how my calling is going."
Well, he got on with it. They want a Primary choir for stake conference... which is in just over 5 weeks. They want me to organize and conduct it. I would be totally thrilled if I had nothing else to do during the next month.
I have to admit, I am kind of excited. I've always wanted to show people in this stake that I can conduct a choir. It would be easier if this had come a month later...but that's not the way life usually works, eh? Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go!
I guess the real question is: am I wicked or righteous?
(And if anyone has any great ideas for either directing a Primary choir or teaching a workshop on developing ourselves intellectually, I could use all the help I can get!)
We just finished up our Stake Primary leadership training meeting the other night. Being a Stake Primary music leader--who wants to inspire the ward music leaders to do creative and interesting things in singing time--means that preparing for these trainings involves huge amounts of time and effort. It's not just that I have have to prepare a motivational talk on my subject....I also have to come up with all kinds of activities and the visual aids that go with them so that I can model what I am trying to preach. My house looked like a war zone for several days with papers, pictures, and posters scattered all over the place.
But it's over, and we had five music leaders show up, which was a huge improvement over the one that showed up to our last training. (I solved the problem by making them all give short presentations at our meeting. Note: if you are in a calling that involves going to stake auxiliary trainings--PLEASE GO!-- so your stake leader doesn't have to assign you a reason to be there!)
Anyway, my mind has already been turning the month ahead, which is chock full of opportunities and obligations. I teach Relief Society in just over a week. We have a stake primary activity in February for which I have the assignment of teaching a song to 80+ Cub Scout aged boys. Translation: it has to be super-entertaining or it will flop. And just a few days prior to the primary activity, I am teaching a mini-class at our annual stake Relief Society conference on the setting and achieving intellectual goals as part of the Pursuit of Excellence Program. (I didn't tell them that I have never done--and never plan to do--Pursuit of Excellence.) And then I am scheduled to help with the planning and carrying out of Dallin's class Valentine's Day party, which falls during the same week.
I've already been going "ack!" We're still on the heels of the Christmas season, and I just want to put my proverbial feet up and rest for awhile!
So the phone rang this morning. I almost didn't answer it because it looked like a telemarketer's number. Maybe I should have just let it ring.
Your heart always skips a beat when you answer the phone, and it's the stake president. He spent some time chewing the fat and asking me how my Primary calling was going, while of course I could do nothing but think "Get on with it. I know you did not call me up just to find out how my calling is going."
Well, he got on with it. They want a Primary choir for stake conference... which is in just over 5 weeks. They want me to organize and conduct it. I would be totally thrilled if I had nothing else to do during the next month.
I have to admit, I am kind of excited. I've always wanted to show people in this stake that I can conduct a choir. It would be easier if this had come a month later...but that's not the way life usually works, eh? Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go!
I guess the real question is: am I wicked or righteous?
(And if anyone has any great ideas for either directing a Primary choir or teaching a workshop on developing ourselves intellectually, I could use all the help I can get!)
Comments
my condolences. But seriously, if we talked I'll bet I can help you with this class! In any case I may be able to take the kids for you!!