Oh my!

I thought we were getting a handle on what makes an effective Family Home Evening. Apparently not.

I was so prepared! I had a coloring page, and a craft, and even a fun little interactive quiz to see if everyone was paying attention.

We started out with a screaming 2-year-old mad because it was not her turn to hang up the Jesse Tree ornament. Then we had screaming and fighting because both kids wanted the same crayon to color their pictures of wise men. Dallin was pretty patient about it, but Sariah had to let us know in the loudest, shrillest possible way that she--and only she--was worthy of being able to color with it.

The quiz on what actually happened in the Wiseman Story was pretty much a bust because I forgot that we have one very competitive 6-year-old on our hands who just cannot tolerate life if he gets an answer wrong. There is no such thing as doing it just for fun and learning in his mind. So we basically had tears and meltdowns on every question.

We made cool crowns for them to wear that said "I will seek the Savior". Well, I'm not sure there was much seeking of the Savior going on, but there was plenty of crying over who got more fake jewels than who.

This face says it all:


The whole time I was presenting the lesson, as I tried to be heard above the din, two thoughts kept running through my mind:

1) They HAVE to be getting something out of this, even though it doesn't appear to be so. Please let them be getting something out of this!

and

2) I know what I'll be blogging about tonight!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Linnea said…
It will be a long time before I am ready to blog about Family Home Evenings--it sounds like things are normal at your house. At least I like to think so, because that's how it is at our house.
Laine said…
:) I'm sorry, I'm smiling, and I feel oddly comforted. :) the story sounds so familiar...