More seasonal scenes

These are some of the things in my home right now that make me say, "Ah, Christmas is here!"


Today we had cousins over to help us make our folded paper stars. They are so easy, and they look SO neat when the sun shines through the window! The kids like to use as many different colors as possible. I make the solid-colored ones because I like to focus on the patterns.


Our Jesse Tree is almost full! The kids have had such fun hanging the ornaments each day. Sariah always wants to hang hers "by the baby" (which is baby Isaac from the story of Abraham and Sarah). Dallin wanted to put the sacrificial fire on top of the lamb "because that's what you do to the lambs--BURN 'EM". (Mom moved them apart.) I was surprised to realize that Dallin was not familiar with many of these Old Testament stories.

Our children's Nativity, which is not the one they want to play with, but I love it because of it's childlike simplicity--and it fits perfectly with the beeswax candles we made. (They go for my expensive Fontanini set. Luckily, it's pretty indestructible.)
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Linnea said…
5 minutes before we read your blog I told Ev I was NOT posting a picture of our stars--maybe I will let her post after all. Fun Christmas stuff!!
Jen said…
Those stars are soo cool! My twins would love something like that...are there directions somewhere how to make them??
Lisa said…
There are several books with instructions for making them. The one I have is called "Crafts Through the Year" by Thomas Berger.

This link http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/sc.17/category.21543/.f
has two books with instructions and also the paper needed to make them. (You'd have to copy and paste the link--I don't think it will come through.)

The paper is called transparency paper, sometimes called kite paper. It's stronger than tissue paper and has a glossier look and feel, but still lets the light through. The paper is expensive, but lasts a long time. I bought my pack last year, used it this year too, and should have enough to make stars next year as well.

It is a GREAT craft for older kids. Dallin is young enough that we basically have to make it together (and I end up doing most of it), but I think ages 9-10+ should be able to do it quite easily. They are nice enough that you can save them from year to year. I want to get enough to cover the entire front window.

I haven't found instructions online. When I googled "paper Christmas stars" I got people selling them on Etsy. I think it almost takes a book because there are so many different designs and variations, each with different instructions.