My friend Elaine asked me to post pictures of some of the handmade toy items I've created. I decided to put a few extras on there just because these projects have been so fun.
This is the playmat I made for our wooden train set. I used heavy canvas and sewed a pre-made binding around the edges after I had painted it. I used craft paints to paint it. I looked up images online of train playmats and table mats and just combined several ideas to make my own. I used a pencil to sketch in the basic ideas, and then filled it in with paint. I used small pieces of sponge to make the trees (I cut the sponges into tree shapes). I used fabric paint pens to line some of the areas.
This is a large piece of light, gauzy fabric that I hemmed and died for the kids to use in building forts. It's great because it's lighter than using blankets and easy for them to handle on their own. I did not try koolaid dye for this one because I was not sure how the fabric would hold it--I bought the fabric and the dye from http://www.dharmatrading.com/ .
Playsilks make the best dress-up-clothes because they are so versatile! You can put them on in a variety of ways and create any kind of outfit you like.
I bought the silks from Dharma Trading (see above). The large ones are about 3' by 3' and the small ones are hanky sized. I should have skipped the small ones and gone just a bit larger. It's very, very easy to dye these by hand using koolaid packets, hot water, and vinegar. They are a bit dirty and wrinkled from use, but you get the idea. The colors turned out gorgous! Instructions can be found at http://artfulparent.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/dyeing-playsilks-with-kool-aid/
The pirate shirt I made for Dallin last Christmas. I just used a basic McCall's or Simplicity pattern. I supplemented it with a pirate hat and hook hand that I bought online. A playskilk would make a great pirate sash.
The knight costume I made Dallin last Christmas. To go with it, I bought a wooden sword and shield. I must admit that I didn't get my money's or time's worth out of these dress-ups. I thought for sure Dallin would love them, but in reality he has rarely played with them.
Close-up view of the head of Sariah's Waldorf doll. The hair had to be sewn in by hand, and the mohair yarn was quite difficult to work with. It took me hours! But if you know how to crochet, there are very easy directions for crocheted hair.
Front view of the doll. It was really fun making the head. This is my very first doll ever, so it doesn't look very professional. Here is the kit I used: http://www.magiccabin.com/magiccabin/product.do?section_id=0&bc=1004&pgc=171&cmvalue=MCD0Normal%20Search%20ResultP1
Here is another great website for Waldorf doll-making: http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/doll_kits_and_patterns/index.htm
I have never thought of myself as a crafty person, but I do really enjoy making things for my kids. The next thing I want to try, maybe for Sariah's birthday, is making a fairy skirt. I've seen instructions online, or, I think I could make one out of playsilks.
Comments
You'll have to check out the two new art/kids blogs I posted in my parenting links. I was way impressed! I can't wait for things to settle down so I can start doing art and craft projects with Sariah.