The Creative Family

For Christmas I got a stack of new books from off of my Amazon wishlist. (FYI: a wishlist is so easy to create and makes it a cinch to let curious dh's know what you want--you can even prioritize the items on the list!)

One that I received was the creative family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections by Amanda Soule. It sounds like a craft book, but it's so much more than that! I came away inspired to make some changes, while at the same time realizing that it's OK to be our own family and not try to copy someone else's. Crafting was definitely part of it, but the book went far deeper than that.

Here are a few ideas I gleaned:

Do I plan time for creating each day the same way that I plan time for chores or other obligations? Do I truly view it as being a successful day if I neglect chores in order to work on a creative project?

(I don't, but I should!)

Do I give my children the space to get messy or make messes?

(Sariah and I were looking at the book, and there was a large photo of the author's child tromping through a huge puddle in the woods. Sariah took one look at the picture and said severely, "No NO! You DON'T get messy!" I felt totally chagrined. I thought I was pretty laid back in this area, but apparently we have some work to do.)

Do I throw things out, or do I look for other uses for them? I can use my creativity to make old things into to new, and to reduce, reuse, and recycle.

(As a result of reading this book, I actually had the thought to take Sariah's old, worn bath towel and make a little towel for her play kitchen, and to cut up the rest of the towel for rags instead of just throwing it away.)

Do I provide a model for my children by working on my own creative projects?

(I feel more inspired to go forth with some of the new hobbies I want to learn this year, like heirloom sewing. They are not frivolous--they are important!)

We need to be more proactive about seeking opportunities to be in nature! And we need to make spaces to bring nature in.

I also want to focus on increasing and enriching our collection of art supplies, making them more organized and accessible, and finding ways to display the children's artwork around the house.

Great tip: Instead of lining the table with newspapers for painting, buy old vinyl tablecloths at thrift stores. Spread them on the table for messy projects, and just wipe clean or throw in the washer. I am totally going to use that idea!

Today hasn't been the best of days in many ways, but I did find myself incorporating a few concepts from what I had read:

I organized all the medicines and supplies that just came from drugstore.com. This involved cleaning out everything I already had and sorting it all into the proper boxes. Sure, it was a chore, but I also realized that I was creating. I was creating order in my home.

When I came into the room to find that Sariah had dumped out a whole bunch of q-tips and was sticking them up her nose (while saying, "I look like Pinocchio!") and then sticking them in between her toes and trying to walk, I only barely noticed the mess on the floor and instead thought about how she was experiencing the sensation of q-tips against her various body parts.

I dropped everything and played the Wii with Dallin this morning. And I finally figured out the secret to bowling and actually managed to get a decent score. I guess I was blessed for playing with my child.

Comments

One Fish said…
I totally want to read it even more now! A got into the q-tips today too so she must be in sync with Sariah.