Tender mercies...

...come in all shapes in sizes, including Size 6.
Last year, James bought Sariah a pretty little burgundy velvet dress. It was too big for her to wear then, but this year it's the perfect size. I had really been wanting to get her a pair of black dress shoes to wear with it. It's the only dress in her closet that really needs black shoes--all the others look better with brown shoes. I felt I could not justify spending the money to buy brand new black church shoes for just one dress, so I'd been looking periodically at our local children's consignment store, without success. Every time I went, they had every size, it seemed, except hers! I've been wanting to have family pictures taken, which was another reason I REALLY wanted to have some nice shoes for her to wear. It was all I could do to not just run out and buy the right shoes; that's the kind of undisciplined shopper I am! But I'd been trying SO hard to be good and not spend money too terribly frivolously.
So this afternoon I was talking to a neighbor, and we somehow got on the subject of little girls and Christmas dresses. I told her about the dress James bought last year, and how I was excited for Sariah to wear it. Then all of a sudden, out of the blue, she said, "Do you need any shoes?" She told me that her daughter had a pair of dress shoes from last year that would probably fit Sariah now. And--guess what???--the shoes were black! They were also the exact size that Sariah needed!
This was such a small thing. Heaven knows we could have gotten by without a new pair of shoes; it wasn't like she was in dire need of them. If it had really been that important, I could have bought new ones. But I was trying so hard not to do that. And somehow, Heavenly Father took care of it. Posted by Picasa

Comments