I've been intrigued by the concept of Advent for quite a long time. As a little girl, I read Tasha Tudor's Christmas with its description of the Advent wreath and candles. I had no idea what these things meant, but I thought it sounded quite magical. Of course, every child has heard of the Advent calendar. I don't think we ever had one growing up, but I wished for one. Who wouldn't wish for chocolate every day?
As a music major, especially one studying the organ, we studied the history of church music. In doing so, we also learned about many of the traditions around which this music centered. We learned about the church year. As part of this, we learned about the season of Advent, and we played music based on Advent hymns.
What is Advent? It is a season of waiting, of anticipating both the birth of the Savior and His coming again to the earth. It comprises the four Sundays prior to Christmas. It involves the lighting of candles each week to mark the time of waiting. On the first Sunday, one candle is lit, the second Sunday two candles, all the way down until Christmas Eve, when the fifth and final candle is lit. The candles are placed around a wreath. Candles have specific colors to symbolize specific things. Scripture readings are chosen to reflect the introspection of the time, and prayers are said. Advent is observed as a season in many churches, but it is also very much a home and family thing.
As a parent, I'm always seeking ways to help my children--and myself--focus on the real meaning of Christmas. Last year, I was looking for structured ideas that I could incorporate into our family life to keep us thinking about Jesus rather than just Santa Claus. I knew we would hold special Family Home Evenings each week, but I wanted it to be more than just once a week. As I was searching online for ideas, I once again came across the observation of Advent. I'd always kind of wished that we LDS did something like that formally. But this time, I realized that I could take the idea of Advent and incorporate it into our family practice. I was a bit uncomfortable borrowing a tradition that came from non-LDS churches, but I finally decided that it didn't matter where it originated. If it was a good tradition, why not use it? When I came across an LDS-produced "Christmas Countdown Candle", where the candle was burned down each night as specific scriptures were read, the deal was cinched for me. This candle was no different than burning Advent candles each Sunday.
So last year, Dallin and I made our own candles out of sheets of beeswax that we rolled and decorated. He had such a blast doing this! I carefully selected scriptures focusing on prophecies of the Savior's birth. I chose certain Christmas hymns to go along with my scriptures. It ended up being the most special thing we did last year! The children loved lighting the candles each week. There was something magical about it that brought a sense of reverence and peace into our home and made them more open to listening to the readings.
Here are Dallin and Sariah on Christmas Eve last year with all five candles lit:

This year, I ordered the candle-rolling kit well in advance, but it didn't come in time for today. So, I ended up getting store-bought candles. I was pressed for time, so I did search and find some online suggestions for scripture readings, which I adapted to focus on an more LDS point of view. As I was searching, I came across another Advent-related tradition called the Jesse Tree. It is based on the scripture in Isaiah 11 that talks about Christ being a branch of the stem of Jesse. Each day during the season, you share scripture stories beginning with the creation of the world down to the birth of Christ. You basically take your children through the entire Old Testament, showing them how everything that has happened since the world began pointed to the coming of Christ. To go along with each story, you make a special symbolic ornament which you then hang on a small Christmas tree, your own Jesse Tree. I loved this idea! I decided once again to adapt it to our LDS beliefs and include some Book of Mormon prophets too. We will do the Jesse Tree daily as part of our family scripture study, and burn the candles on Sunday evenings.
Tonight:
So tonight was Advent the reality vs. Advent the fantasy. We learned that keeping the children, especially Sariah, out of the candles while they are burning is a major challenge. We learned that the candle has to be lit more than once so that everyone can have a turn. It also has to be blown out more than once so that everyone can have a turn. We did a lot of lighting and blowing out of candles! There was only one Jesse Tree ornament to hang up, and so that didn't go over so well for the child whose turn will be coming tomorrow. In fact, that child's angst lasted the whole time we were trying to read the scripture, which was from Isaiah and really required no distractions if it was going to be explained properly. Another child thought it was funny to pretend to be blowing out the candle the whole time we were reading in order to further infuriate the child who didn't get to hang up the ornament.As a music major, especially one studying the organ, we studied the history of church music. In doing so, we also learned about many of the traditions around which this music centered. We learned about the church year. As part of this, we learned about the season of Advent, and we played music based on Advent hymns.
What is Advent? It is a season of waiting, of anticipating both the birth of the Savior and His coming again to the earth. It comprises the four Sundays prior to Christmas. It involves the lighting of candles each week to mark the time of waiting. On the first Sunday, one candle is lit, the second Sunday two candles, all the way down until Christmas Eve, when the fifth and final candle is lit. The candles are placed around a wreath. Candles have specific colors to symbolize specific things. Scripture readings are chosen to reflect the introspection of the time, and prayers are said. Advent is observed as a season in many churches, but it is also very much a home and family thing.
As a parent, I'm always seeking ways to help my children--and myself--focus on the real meaning of Christmas. Last year, I was looking for structured ideas that I could incorporate into our family life to keep us thinking about Jesus rather than just Santa Claus. I knew we would hold special Family Home Evenings each week, but I wanted it to be more than just once a week. As I was searching online for ideas, I once again came across the observation of Advent. I'd always kind of wished that we LDS did something like that formally. But this time, I realized that I could take the idea of Advent and incorporate it into our family practice. I was a bit uncomfortable borrowing a tradition that came from non-LDS churches, but I finally decided that it didn't matter where it originated. If it was a good tradition, why not use it? When I came across an LDS-produced "Christmas Countdown Candle", where the candle was burned down each night as specific scriptures were read, the deal was cinched for me. This candle was no different than burning Advent candles each Sunday.
So last year, Dallin and I made our own candles out of sheets of beeswax that we rolled and decorated. He had such a blast doing this! I carefully selected scriptures focusing on prophecies of the Savior's birth. I chose certain Christmas hymns to go along with my scriptures. It ended up being the most special thing we did last year! The children loved lighting the candles each week. There was something magical about it that brought a sense of reverence and peace into our home and made them more open to listening to the readings.
Here are Dallin and Sariah on Christmas Eve last year with all five candles lit:

This year, I ordered the candle-rolling kit well in advance, but it didn't come in time for today. So, I ended up getting store-bought candles. I was pressed for time, so I did search and find some online suggestions for scripture readings, which I adapted to focus on an more LDS point of view. As I was searching, I came across another Advent-related tradition called the Jesse Tree. It is based on the scripture in Isaiah 11 that talks about Christ being a branch of the stem of Jesse. Each day during the season, you share scripture stories beginning with the creation of the world down to the birth of Christ. You basically take your children through the entire Old Testament, showing them how everything that has happened since the world began pointed to the coming of Christ. To go along with each story, you make a special symbolic ornament which you then hang on a small Christmas tree, your own Jesse Tree. I loved this idea! I decided once again to adapt it to our LDS beliefs and include some Book of Mormon prophets too. We will do the Jesse Tree daily as part of our family scripture study, and burn the candles on Sunday evenings.
Tonight:
But overall it went well. I really feel like I have found the thing that I want to keep doing over the years, something that can be continuous and become a true family tradition!

Comments